Which is correct: "yell at..." or "yell to..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

drexlar

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am doing an online English course and I found the following phrase: Charles yelled to the girl. While I was searching for the meaning of yell in a dictionary I found examples with yell at. Now I am confused, are both correct or just the last one?

Thanks in advance

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I yell "to" you, I am raising my voice so you can hear me across the distance or above other noise. I simply need you to hear me.

If I yell "at" you, I am expressing my anger with you with a loud voice. (Actually, we sometimes use "yell at" to simply refer to expressed anger, even if the voice isn't very loud." If I yell at you, I'm mad.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I am doing an online English course and I found the following phrase: Charles yelled to the girl. While I was searching for the meaning of yell in a dictionary I found examples with yell at. Now I am confused, are both correct or just the last one?

Thanks in advance
They are both correct, but have different meanings. "Charles yelled to the girl" means that he called out to her, perhaps to get her attention. "Charles yelled at the girl" implies that he shouted at her in anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.