Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Can one say : "I'm allowing you to go outside" or does one have to say "I let you go outside" ? Or are both possible ?

theeexcellence

Member Type
Student or Learner
Can one say : "I'm allowing you to go outside" or does one have to say "I let you go outside" ? Or are both possible ?

"I let you go outside." is surely correct but I doubt that "allow" is used in continuous tenses.

So it is better to say: "I allow you to go outside.", thereby meaning that you can go outside.

NOT A TEACHER

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Both are correct. The second one sounds more natural.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Both are possible. ‘Allow’ is an action verb, so it can used any tense form. Depending on the context, the present continuous (I am allowing …) can work better; as:
(Conversation between an employee and boss)
Employee: Sir, there is a family function at home. I like to go out now and return within an hour.

Boss: Ok, just now I am allowing you, but make it a point to come back and finish the assignment given to you.
Or
Boss: Look here, you have an urgent assignment to complete today. How do you expect to finish if you remain absent for some time?
Employee: I assure you Sir, it will certainly be completed after I come back.
Boss: Any way, I am allowing you with the hope that you will be true to your words.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both are possible. ‘Allow’ is an action verb, so it can used any tense form. Depending on the context, the present continuous (I am allowing …) can work better; as:
(Conversation between an employee and boss)
Employee: Sir, there is a family function at home. I would like to go [STRIKE]out[/STRIKE] now and I'll return within an hour.
Boss: Ok, [STRIKE]just now[/STRIKE] I'll let you go, but make [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] a point [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] of coming back and finishing the assignment given to you.

Both are indeed possible, and there is another alternative:

I'm letting you go outside.

For example:

Parent: I'm letting you go and play outside, but don't be long.
Child: OK, I'll be back in half an hour.

In the example given above about the family function, I don't think that the present continuous would be used. If you ask permission to leave work, I think you would be more likely to be told "OK, I'll let you leave".

Status
Not open for further replies.