1. azam adullah

Question since ....

I have some queries to discuss.
    Is the statement below passed?
    You are looking better since you were back from the north.

Also, I stumbled across the use of past perfect tense with preposition "after" to make one event background. the book states:

1. Adam screeched after he had seen a rat. (the seeing event here is background)
    2. Adam screeched after he saw a rat. (here, the seeing event is foreground)

However, I have a doubt about it. I think there is a typo in the book.
    I guess, the seeing event in sentence 1 should be foreground, whereas, the counterpart in sentence 2 is background. For the reason that past perfect tense lays stress on the completion of the action in after-clause. Am I, or the book, right ?

Re: since ....

Quote Originally Posted by azam adullah View Post
    Is the statement below passed correct?
    You are looking better since you were have come back from the north.

Also, I stumbled across the use of past perfect tense with preposition "after" to make one event background. the book states:

1. Adam screeched after he had seen a rat. (the seeing event here is background)

I guess, the seeing event in sentence 1 should be foreground, whereas, the counterpart in sentence 2 is background. For the reason that past perfect tense lays stress on the completion of the action in after-clause. Am I, or the book, right ?
    I don't see much of a difference between these two sentences, except that the first one seems more cumbersome. I'm afraid I don't understand what the book is trying to say here. Perhaps others can help.

It would also seem more natural to say that he screeched "when" he saw a rat, rather than "after." The use of "after" makes it sound as if a little time passed before he decided to let loose with a screech. That is not how it happens, at least in my own experience!

Re: since ....

Quote Originally Posted by azam adullah View Post
    Is the statement below passed?
    You are looking better since you were back from the north.

You are looking better since you are/came back from the north.

You are looking better since you returned from the north.

I think the following sentences are right.

1. Adam screeched after he had seen a rat. (The event happened yesterday (or sometime ago but you are not on the scene while telling) and you are telling someone about it now.)

2. Adam screeched after he saw a rat. (You are telling someone about it while on the scene.)

NOT A TEACHER