Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Here's an excerpt from an article:

You can be assured that Javaris Crittenton will not be back. Gun incident aside; he never really established himself in his short stint with the team and missed the first 50 games with a left foot injury.

I find it odd that the author used a semicolon after "aside." I think it's incorrect and the semicolon should be a comma. But I suppose this is one of those cases where the use of the semicolon is justified because it serves to add emphasis.

Would you agree?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

You can be assured that Javaris Crittenton will not be back. Gun incident aside; he never really established himself in his short stint with the team and missed the first 50 games with a left foot injury.

I find it odd that the author used a semicolon after "aside." I think it's incorrect and the semicolon should be a comma. But I suppose this is one of those cases where the use of the semicolon is justified because it serves to add emphasis.

Would you agree?

Thanks.

No, I would say it's incorrect use of a semi-colon. A comma would have been correct.

iZicci

Member Type
Student or Learner
No, I would say it's incorrect use of a semi-colon. A comma would have been correct.

In Chinese language, you may find it correct to use a semicolon like that.

All I know about semicolon is if you don't know whether a comma or a period is ok and then you can use a semicolon.:lol:

Well, that's just my opinion.

Glad to discusse with you online!

Thanks.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Would you agree?

Thanks.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon, jasmin.

(1) I guess authors can use any kind of punctuation they want as long as the editors allow it to pass for publication.

(2) Nevertheless, I agree with you that the semicolon is "incorrect."

(3) It seems to me that "Gun incident aside" is really almost an adverbial clause = If we put the gun incident aside, he never really established himself. ...

(a) The "rule" requires semicolons to separate independent clauses.

(i) Surely no one can say that "Gun incident aside" is an independent clause or thought. It obviously needs to be followed up with an explanation (he never really ....).

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.