Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

Are theses sentences correct?

1- Come on, all of you leave the ladder in order for you not to

be hurt, except for Jack and Paul.

( they are children carrying a ladder with their father and mother and their father is the one who has said this; he orders them to leave the ladder, so how can I say it?)

2- A, "What's wrong with Helen?"

B, "Her stomach aches, that's all."

6- You may get sick for burdening yourself with many
responsibilities.

( Is there another simpler and more direct way to express

this?)

iZicci

Member Type
Student or Learner
You may get sick for burdening yourself with so many responsibilities.

Another way of expression:

You may fall down with high pressure.

Is this okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are theses sentences correct?

1- Come on, all of you leave the ladder in order for you not to

( they are children carrying a ladder with their father and mother and their father is the one who has said this; he orders them to leave the ladder, so how can I say it?)

2- A, "What's wrong with Helen?"

B, "Her stomach aches, that's all."

6- You may get sick for burdening yourself with many
responsibilities.

( Is there another simpler and more direct way to express

this?)

1 - Come on! I want all of you, except Jack and Paul, to leave the ladder alone so you don't get hurt.

2 - A & B are both fine, though you may wish to use "Her stomach hurts, that's all" or "She has a stomach ache, that's all".

6 - Over-burdening yourself with responsibilities might make you sick.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
leave the ladder alone - stay clear of the ladder?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
leave the ladder alone - stay clear of the ladder?

Actually, now I think about it, it probably should have been "put the ladder down" as the OP explained that the children are already carrying it at the beginning of the story.

Stay clear usually means to avoid, so if the ladder had been leaning against a wall and he wanted them not to go near it, he could have said "stay clear of the ladder".

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Jack and Paul are helping their parents to carry the ladder. How could they just put the ladder down. It was a warning to the other children to stay out of the way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jack and Paul are helping their parents to carry the ladder. How could they just put the ladder down. It was a warning to the other children to stay out of the way.

The OP said:

"1- Come on, all of you leave the ladder in order for you not to

( they are children carrying a ladder with their father and mother and their father is the one who has said this; he orders them to leave the ladder....)

I have highlighted what I believe are the relevant parts in red. The father says ".....all of you....". There are clearly more than 2 children carrying the ladder and he wants them all, EXCEPT Jack and Paul, to leave it. To me, this means that he is telling all the others to let go of it at least, if not necessarily put it down!

I don't understand why you asked "How could they just put it down?" It would be quite simple for them to simply put the ladder down on the ground, if that is what their father wanted them to do. However, I still believe that he wants Jack and Paul to continue to carry it, but the other children to stop helping to carry it.

So perhaps, yes, my original suggestion should have been that the other children "let go of it".

iZicci

Member Type
Student or Learner
The OP said:

"1- Come on, all of you leave the ladder in order for you not to

( they are children carrying a ladder with their father and mother and their father is the one who has said this; he orders them to leave the ladder....)

I have highlighted what I believe are the relevant parts in red. The father says ".....all of you....". There are clearly more than 2 children carrying the ladder and he wants them all, EXCEPT Jack and Paul, to leave it. To me, this means that he is telling all the others to let go of it at least, if not necessarily put it down!

I don't understand why you asked "How could they just put it down?" It would be quite simple for them to simply put the ladder down on the ground, if that is what their father wanted them to do. However, I still believe that he wants Jack and Paul to continue to carry it, but the other children to stop helping to carry it.

So perhaps, yes, my original suggestion should have been that the other children "let go of it".

The analysis is quite detailed.
If we want to resolve this matter, we'd better draw a picture of the scene.
Maybe both of you are correct.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
OK, I misread and misundertood the scenario. I was thinking that Jack, Paul and the parents were carrying the ladder and the other children were told to make way for them. Now I realise the whole family is carrying the ladder. That must have been a huge ladder!.

If the other children were told to let go of the ladder, the message to them could be:
Leave the carrying to us. You guys stay clear to be safe.

Last edited:

RoseSpring

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

You've got the picture right. They are seven children carrying

the ladder with their parents. The father asked all of them " to

leave holding the ladder" except for two of them. That's the

story. What I've understood is that "Let go of it" and "stay

clear " are the most appropriate orders in this situation, is

that right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

You've got the picture right. They are seven children carrying

the ladder with their parents. The father asked all of them " to

leave holding the ladder" except for two of them. That's the

story. What I've understood is that "Let go of it" and "stay

clear " are the most appropriate orders in this situation, is

that right?

They are both possible orders but before the other 5 children can "stay (or stand) clear", they would first have to "let go" of the ladder, as at the beginning of the story, they are helping to carry it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just want to throw in a word of encouragement here.

Even though the sentences you've been posting lately are not the way a native would say them, they are completely understandable. Remember that the goal of communication is to convey meaning, not show of perfect grammar, so you are doing just fine! Your vocabulary is pretty sophisticated as well.

Don't be discouraged by the number of corrections you are receiving.

RoseSpring

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Re: Are these sentences correct?

I just want to throw in a word of encouragement here.

Even though the sentences you've been posting lately are not the way a native would say them, they are completely understandable. Remember that the goal of communication is to convey meaning, not show of perfect grammar, so you are doing just fine! Your vocabulary is pretty sophisticated as well.

Don't be discouraged by the number of corrections you are receiving.

Thanks for the compliment, indeed. I'm not discouraged thank goodness. But I just want to ask that, if what I'm writing isn't like what a native says, Why not correcting it to so that I can know how a native speaker says it! That's my main aim for posting these questions after all!

By the way, I'm transalting a movie from Arabic to English, so I really need to know how " a native speaker" says these sentences in English.

Thanks again for all of the help and compliment.

Much obliged :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.