Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 26
    #1

    What is the difference between these?

    Has anybody asked after me while I was way?

    Has anybody asked about me while I was way?


    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 58
    #2

    Re: What is the difference between these?

    Quote Originally Posted by kolooko View Post
    Has anybody asked after me while I was way?

    Has anybody asked about me while I was way?
    I think both of these sentences are correct but with a slight difference in meaning.

    "Ask after" is used for inquiring about someone's health or well-being. In the same instance "ask for" can also be used.

    "Ask about" is generally inquiring for someone, their whereabouts, reason of absence etc. It can also be used to ask about one's health but then the word "health" will have to mentioned. Whereas "ask after" and "ask for" are inclusive of it.

    Examples:
    He asked after/for you. (about your health especially)
    He asked about you. (where you werr, what you were doing these days, etc)
    He asked about your health/ how you were feeling/ well-being.

    There is another phrase "ask around about".

    We shall ask around about him. (We shall ask different people/ sources about him.)

    This was my explanation. Obviously if there are any "mistakes" in my understanding, other competent posters will indicate so.

    NOT A TEACHER


    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 26
    #3

    Re: What is the difference between these?

    You mean if you use ask after/for, you want to know about someone's health, right?

    thank you!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #4

    Re: What is the difference between these?

    Quote Originally Posted by kolooko View Post
    You mean if you use ask after/for, you want to know about someone's health, right?

    thank you!
    You can also ask about someone's health.
    IMO, 'ask after' is not common.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #5

    Re: What is the difference between these?

    Quote Originally Posted by kolooko View Post
    You mean if you use ask after/for, you want to know about someone's health, right?

    thank you!
    "Ask after" generally means to ask about someone's health.
    "Ask for" means that you actually want to see them. For example:

    I went to my friend's office asked for her at the reception desk.

    This means that I actually wanted to see her, so I went to reception to ask them to contact her so that she could come down to reception and meet me, or invite me to her office.


    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 58
    #6

    Re: What is the difference between these?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "Ask after" generally means to ask about someone's health.
    "Ask for" means that you actually want to see them. For example:

    I went to my friend's office asked for her at the reception desk.

    This means that I actually wanted to see her, so I went to reception to ask them to contact her so that she could come down to reception and meet me, or invite me to her office.
    Right! "Ask for" implies that too.

Similar Threads

  1. difference in meaning?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2010, 09:19
  2. "Difference Between" or "the difference between"
    By cherran in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2009, 15:43
  3. [Idiom] The difference gets tacked onto the principal?
    By eliang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2008, 18:30
  4. mean the difference
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2008, 18:34
  5. Difference in sense
    By FJR-Michael in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-May-2005, 19:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •