Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My question is whether to use the term 'Monday thru Sunday' as an alternative to 'everyday' is a good syntax option.

For example, in 'Our store is open everyday' vs. 'Our store is open Monday thru Sunday', which is better and more common?

Thank you.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about

Our store is open seven days a week.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How about

Our store is open seven days a week.

Thank you. Yours is a good option. However, I want to hear comments on Monday thru Sunday. How does it sound to you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. Yours is a good option. However, I want to hear comments on Monday thru Sunday. How does it sound to you?

To me, if a store is open every day then I wouldn't expect it to be worded as you have suggested. Generally, the "Monday thru......" syntax is usually used to specify more limited opening information. "Monday thru Saturday" I would expect to see, as it clearly shows that it is shut on Sunday.

If a shop was open 24 hours a day, I wouldn't expect it to be described as being open "midnight thru midnight", but if it wasn't open 24/7, I wouldn't have a problem with "9am thru 7pm".

From a more personal point of view, a little flag always goes up in my brain when I see the word "thru". To me, it's a very American-English word, and I believe is an abbreviation for "through".

In the UK, you will rarely see this. In British English, we would say "Open Monday to Saturday" etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.