'Imperiling' used as an adjective?

• Thread starter jlb05
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,870
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jlb05

I would like to know if it is correct to use the verb 'imperiling' as an adjective, as in:
"An imperiling storm approached their town."

I could use "perilous", but I like how 'imperiling' sounds for some odd reason, but I'm not sure if that would be grammatically correct.

I didn't want to use a common word like dangerous or menacing, so I went with variations of peril. I appreciate your help in advance!

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm not a teacher, but I think you're using a participle to modify the noun, which is totally acceptable. :up:

The Participle

Participles can function as adjectives.

Last edited:

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
It might not be our choice of words, but if he likes the way it sounds, I say use it. It's your sentence to manipulate. And it is grammatically correct. Go for it! :-D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's always a challenge to know what people really need. Sometimes they want to know if it's grammatically correct (to win a bet or something? who knows) and other times they want to know how a native speaker would perceive something.

My usual response is to ask if your word choice, word order, punctuation, etc. aids or inhibits conveying your meaning. If you're writing poetry, then it's good to make your reader think about your word choice. If you're writing prose, you generally don't want your reader to focus more on your word choice than your message.

That word is a "stopper" word.

It's still your choice, of course. But ask yourself what effect you want your words to have: contemplation or simply understanding?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I wonder if the word appeals to you because it is longer and does not look common. I think it doesn't sound natural. For a storm, I prefer simpler and more effective words like 'fierce' or 'massive'.

not a teacher

Eric Davis

Member Type
Student or Learner
He is wanting a word that is uncommon. I think he found it. Creativity, imagination, and individuality are the hallmarks of artistry. Personally, I don't find the word to be terribly distracting, but that's just my opinion.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
IMO, There is nothing imaginative or creative about the word. It is just a long word for 'dangerous', which doesn't say much about a storm.
It is not how the word sounds but the meaning it conveys that matters
A better word comes to mind - devastating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.