One word for 3 sentenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

trila

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi!

In the exam there was a task: to fill in the gap in three sentenses with one word which can be used in all three sentenses.

1. There has been a steady .... in the number of guidebooks published recently.

2. As she'd taken a lot of extra responsibility at work, Martina felt justified in putting in for a .....

3. The ancient farmhouse had been built on a slight .... overlooking the vast open plain.

I put the word "growth" but im not sure that it is the correct answer. Can you help me to find out the right answer?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi!

In the exam there was a task: to fill in the gap in three sentenses with one word which can be used in all three sentenses.

1. There has been a steady .... in the number of guidebooks published recently.

2. As she'd taken a lot of extra responsibility at work, Martina felt justified in putting in for a .....

3. The ancient farmhouse had been built on a slight .... overlooking the vast open plain.

I put the word "growth" but im not sure that it is the correct answer. Can you help me to find out the right answer?

The word you needed was "rise".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My first thought was "rise" which is OK for #1 & #3, but in Am.E #2 would be "raise". Then I thought perhaps it might be "increase", but that would not fit with #3. So, if "rise" fits with your teacher, you should explain that "rise" doesn't work in Am.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.