• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

is/are

The realism of Zola's scenarios in his novels is/are reflected in the streets the narrator saw.

Which verb should I use?

Many thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: is/are

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    The realism of Zola's scenarios in his novels is/are reflected in the streets the narrator saw.

Which verb should I use?

Many thanks.
    What is the subject that the verb should agree with?

1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Which verb should I use?

Many thanks.
    Tan, you have put in countless threads related to subject verb-agreement over a fairly long period of time. What do you think could lie behind the fact that you are still incapable to get the picture.

EDIT: incapable of getting
    Last edited by corum; 12-Apr-2010 at 13:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

The sentence provided by a qualified teacher is 'are', so I wonder whether he is correct. I think it should be 'is' but being a non-native, I would like an answer from a native speaker, preferably. No offence directed at non-native members.

Thanks again.

2. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

The sentence provided by a qualified teacher is 'are',
    Qualified in what? Surely not in English. That is exactly my point when I argue against the usefulness of stating whether the answerer is a teacher or not. Not to mention a member's member type clearly states who (s)he is. Does being a teacher mean that you are better than a non-teacher? Do you eat this nonsense?

so I wonder whether he is correct.
    Dear Tan Elaine, In your quest for bettering your understanding of how the English language works, you must have developed your own ideas. Have the courage of your own convictions, otherwise what you possess intellectually is worth nada, if you ask me.

I think it should be 'is' but being a non-native, I would like an answer from a native speaker, preferably. No offence directed at non-native members.

Thanks again.
    Native mania: my second favorite issue. What makes you think it is beyond the ken of a non-native speaker to answer this straightforward question? The message I get from such comments as yours is that you are biased towards a group of people: native speakers. You assume that a non-native's mental capacity is not sufficient to solve this task. Offensive and tactless.

No offence directed at non-native members.
    Even if it is not directed at us, it can still have a bitter taste.
    You cannot tell other people when they should get offended.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Corum
    I agree with you wholeheartedly on the two issues.

3. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    Corum
    I agree with you wholeheartedly on the two issues.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

The sentence provided by a qualified teacher is 'are', so I wonder whether he is correct. I think it should be 'is' but being a non-native, I would like an answer from a native speaker, preferably. No offence directed at non-native members.

Thanks again.
    As you will have probably gathered by now Elaine, "is" is correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by corum View Post
    Dear Tan Elaine, In your quest for bettering your understanding of how the English language works, you must have developed your own ideas. Have the courage of your own convictions, otherwise what you possess intellectually is worth nada, if you ask me.
    You might have a good case when you speak against bias towards a certain group of people but this last remark of yours is somewhat over the top, let me put it this way.

I fail to see how a mere fact of asking a question could relate to person's "intellectual possession", nor do I see how it's tantamount to 'nada' . What do you think this forum was created for?
    Have you never asked questions in your life? Or were you born with the knowledge that you possess now?

You talk about such words as "tactless'' and "offensive" when you yourself have been tactless on more than one occasion in this forum. It doesn't work that way; If you raise an issue about people being offensive make sure you don't have a habit of badmouthing other people's opinions first. It's not 'courage' as you might think of it, it's pretty much the devil rebuking sin.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Qualified in what? Qualified as a teacher of English language in an established English language school.

Tan, you have put in countless threads related to subject verb-agreement over a fairly long period of time. What do you think could lie behind the fact that you are still incapable to get the picture.
    I think a member should not say such words about another member: 'incapable to get the picture'.

Even if it is not directed at us, it can still have a bitter taste; 'incapable to get the picture' has a very bitter taste.

otherwise what you possess intellectually is worth nada, if you ask me. Is this not offensive?

If even a qualified English language teacher can make the mistake, why am I not entitled to ask the question?

You talk about such words as "tactless'' and "offensive" when you yourself have been tactless on more than one occasion in this forum. It doesn't work that way; If you raise an issue about people being offensive make sure you don't have a habit of badmouthing other people's opinions first. It's not 'courage' as you might think of it, it's pretty much the devil rebuking sin. I fully agree with this comment by IHIVG

Originally Posted by Tan Elaine under Punctuation

Who asked, "How old are you?"? (You asserted that this sentence is wrong and asked me who the 'authority' was. I think you are too assertive. Even a native speaker will not challenge a grammar authority. Kfredson's advice should be taken note of.)

As you will have probably gathered by now Elaine, "is" is correct. This reply by Bhaisahab is what members should emulate.
    Last edited by Tan Elaine; 13-Apr-2010 at 17:28.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast