Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The realism of Zola's scenarios in his novels is/are reflected in the streets the narrator saw.

Which verb should I use?

Many thanks.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The realism of Zola's scenarios in his novels is/are reflected in the streets the narrator saw.

Which verb should I use?

Many thanks.

What is the subject that the verb should agree with?

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

Which verb should I use?

Many thanks.

Tan, you have put in countless threads related to subject verb-agreement over a fairly long period of time. What do you think could lie behind the fact that you are still incapable to get the picture.

EDIT: incapable of getting

Last edited:

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The sentence provided by a qualified teacher is 'are', so I wonder whether he is correct. I think it should be 'is' but being a non-native, I would like an answer from a native speaker, preferably. No offence directed at non-native members.

Thanks again.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
The sentence provided by a qualified teacher is 'are',

Qualified in what? :) Surely not in English. That is exactly my point when I argue against the usefulness of stating whether the answerer is a teacher or not. Not to mention a member's member type clearly states who (s)he is. Does being a teacher mean that you are better than a non-teacher? Do you eat this nonsense? :)

so I wonder whether he is correct.

Dear Tan Elaine, In your quest for bettering your understanding of how the English language works, you must have developed your own ideas. Have the courage of your own convictions, otherwise what you possess intellectually is worth nada, if you ask me.

I think it should be 'is' but being a non-native, I would like an answer from a native speaker, preferably. No offence directed at non-native members.

Thanks again.

Native mania: my second favorite issue. What makes you think it is beyond the ken of a non-native speaker to answer this straightforward question? The message I get from such comments as yours is that you are biased towards a group of people: native speakers. You assume that a non-native's mental capacity is not sufficient to solve this task. Offensive and tactless.

No offence directed at non-native members.

Even if it is not directed at us, it can still have a bitter taste. ;-)
You cannot tell other people when they should get offended. ;-)

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Corum
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the two issues. :up:;-)

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Corum
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the two issues. :up:;-)

adore.gif
:cheers:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The sentence provided by a qualified teacher is 'are', so I wonder whether he is correct. I think it should be 'is' but being a non-native, I would like an answer from a native speaker, preferably. No offence directed at non-native members.

Thanks again.
As you will have probably gathered by now Elaine, "is" is correct.:)

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear Tan Elaine, In your quest for bettering your understanding of how the English language works, you must have developed your own ideas. Have the courage of your own convictions, otherwise what you possess intellectually is worth nada, if you ask me.
You might have a good case when you speak against bias towards a certain group of people but this last remark of yours is somewhat over the top, let me put it this way.

I fail to see how a mere fact of asking a question could relate to person's "intellectual possession", nor do I see how it's tantamount to 'nada' :roll:. What do you think this forum was created for?
Have you never asked questions in your life? Or were you born with the knowledge that you possess now?

You talk about such words as "tactless'' and "offensive" when you yourself have been tactless on more than one occasion in this forum. It doesn't work that way; If you raise an issue about people being offensive make sure you don't have a habit of badmouthing other people's opinions first. It's not 'courage' as you might think of it, it's pretty much the devil rebuking sin.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Qualified in what? Qualified as a teacher of English language in an established English language school.

Tan, you have put in countless threads related to subject verb-agreement over a fairly long period of time. What do you think could lie behind the fact that you are still incapable to get the picture.
I think a member should not say such words about another member: 'incapable to get the picture'.

Even if it is not directed at us, it can still have a bitter taste; 'incapable to get the picture' has a very bitter taste.

otherwise what you possess intellectually is worth nada, if you ask me. Is this not offensive?

If even a qualified English language teacher can make the mistake, why am I not entitled to ask the question?

You talk about such words as "tactless'' and "offensive" when you yourself have been tactless on more than one occasion in this forum. It doesn't work that way; If you raise an issue about people being offensive make sure you don't have a habit of badmouthing other people's opinions first. It's not 'courage' as you might think of it, it's pretty much the devil rebuking sin. I fully agree with this comment by IHIVG

Originally Posted by Tan Elaine under Punctuation

Who asked, "How old are you?"? (You asserted that this sentence is wrong and asked me who the 'authority' was. I think you are too assertive. Even a native speaker will not challenge a grammar authority. Kfredson's advice should be taken note of.)

As you will have probably gathered by now Elaine, "is" is correct. This reply by Bhaisahab is what members should emulate.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Qualified in what? Qualified as a teacher of English Language in an established English language school.

I think a member should not say such words about another member: 'incapable to get the picture'.

Even if it is not directed at us, it can still have a bitter taste; 'incapable to get the picture' has a very bitter taste.

otherwise what you possess intellectually is worth nada, if you ask me. Is this not offensive?

If even a qualified English language teacher can make the mistake, why am I not entitled to ask the question?

You talk about such words as "tactless'' and "offensive" when you yourself have been tactless on more than one occasion in this forum. It doesn't work that way; If you raise an issue about people being offensive make sure you don't have a habit of badmouthing other people's opinions first. It's not 'courage' as you might think of it, it's pretty much the devil rebuking sin. I fully agree with this comment by IHIVG

Originally Posted by Tan Elaine under Punctuation

Who asked, "How old are you?"? (You asserted that this sentence is wrong and asked me who the 'authority' was. I think you are too assertive. Even a native speaker will not challenge a grammar authority. Kfredson's advice should be taken note of.)

As you will have probably gathered by now Elaine, "is" is correct. This reply by Bhaisahab is what members should emulate.
Don't be too perturbed by what corum has said Elaine, I don't mind how many times you ask questions. If you are not sure about something you should ask, and I understand that if a qualified non-native English teacher tells you something that you feel is wrong, you will feel the need to ask a native English speaking teacher for confirmation.:)

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
When a member starts a new thread, he or she has the right to state by whom they would like their questions to be answered. Period.

Since, the thread is started on the forums that are open to every member, every member who wishes to participate in the thread may do so, of course abiding by the forums' rules. Period.

And, as for the question, since "is for singular and are for plural" is the basic rule a learner is being taught at the very beginning, and considering the proximity principle doesn't seem to fit in the example, and adding the fact that the word "realism" is singular, some posters might have been a little bit confused about the question itself, so there is no need to argue, especially, using some words that might create a tension between the members.

If some members would like their questions to be answered only by the native-speakers and then their questions are answered by some non-native speakers, they might just ignore those answers, by saying "any more ideas, especially, from the native-speakers? " or something like that and wait for the native-speakers to answer. But, just as I have mentioned before, these forums are open to every member, even to the guests, and therefore, a thread is no one's backyard, (here I'd like to underline the "abiding by the forums' rules" part, again).

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I just have to say one last thing Re this issue.

I have to agree with corum to an extent that it doesn't sound too nice when OP is trying to draw a line between native and non-native speakers. (And I'm not talking of this just from the non-native perspective --I just don't like 'bias' whatsoever).

You might be better off to welcome all sort of comments and advice you receive here as it will make other people more willing to help you next time; or just ignore and scroll down if you don't hold someone's opinion in sufficiently high esteem. Just don't say it.

It's been also proven on many occasions that you don't have to be a teacher nor even a native to know a thing or two about language.
If a poster is being completely wrong, I'm sure other people (teachers or not) will always point that out.

If you, however, feel the need to add a note of differentiation and state your personal preference as to what group of people you would like to answer your question, then go ahead, I don't, personally, take an issue with that albeit would not say something like that myself.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Don't be too perturbed by what corum has said Elaine, I don't mind how many times you ask questions. If you are not sure about something you should ask, and I understand that if a qualified non-native English teacher tells you something that you feel is wrong, you will feel the need to ask a native English speaking teacher for confirmation.:)

What I'm surprised is Corum's saying I have asked questions on the same subject many times. Even a native speaker has never passed such a comment. It makes Corum appear like he is a native speaker who is an authority on English. (2006, a native speaker, replied by asking me "What is the subject that the verb should agree with?" without adding anything else. That is what a member helping others should emulate.)

I do not doubt that Corum or any other non-native speaker is capable of answering the question but to add something that hurts is not something I or any other poster, in my opinion, likes hearing.

IHIVG: If you, however, feel the need to add a note of differentiation and state your personal preference as to what group of people you would like to answer your question, then go ahead.

Please note that in all my other posts, I have never directed my questions to native speakers. It is evidence that I do respect non-native speakers' replies.

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I'd like to qualify what I said about agreeing with corum was on the two issues i.e. the clear-cut distinction made between teacher/non-teacher and native/non-natives in the forum. However, I do not agree with the stinging remarks he made which I too, feel is unwarranted, insulting and too harsh to a fellow member.

I was wondering what made corum react so strongly to Elaine's post. One thing I have noticed from Elaine's previous postings is that she is one of a few who would state her preference to have native speakers answer her questions and would tend to only acknowledge replies from native speakers. Not that it bothers me too much but why the hang-up and the discrimination? I think there are some non-native and non-teacher members whose mastery of the language can well match that of a native.

NOT A TEACHER

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'd like to qualify what I said about agreeing with corum was on the two issues i.e. the clear-cut distinction made between teacher/non-teacher and native/non-natives in the forum. However, I do not agree with the stinging remarks he made which I too, feel is unwarranted, insulting and too harsh to a fellow member.

I was wondering what made corum react so strongly to Elaine's post. One thing I have noticed from Elaine's previous postings is that she is one of a few who would state her preference to have native speakers answer her questions and would tend to only acknowledge replies from native speakers. Not that it bothers me too much but why the hang-up and the discrimination? I think there are some non-native and non-teacher members whose mastery of the language can well match that of a native.

NOT A TEACHER
I do not agree with you that I prefer native speakers to answer my questions. If you refer to all my previous posts, you will note that I have often thanked non-native speakers for their replies. If their replies are, in my opinion, correct or positive, they deserve to be thanked.

I sometimes do not thank native speakers again for their replies because I always say "Thanks' at the end of a question.

Last edited:

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I fail to see how a mere fact of asking a question could relate to person's "intellectual possession", nor do I see how it's tantamount to 'nada' :roll:. What do you think this forum was created for?

My point is that over a long period of time Tan should have, and in fact I know (s)he has, developed an understanding of verbal governance by subject. (S)he stated "I think it should be 'is' but,” and the bare bones of what I was trying to drive at was that (s)he should have dropped that „but” by now, that (s)he should have cut the umbilical cord by now. We have answered identical questions millions of times. Well I ask you, "What the f..k for when she keeps coming back,”? :) You can say with some justification, "Do not help him then; the choice is yours,” and you are partly right. Only partly, in my opinion, though, because I have already put in much of my time and effort in good faith, but it seems like I did it in vain. We the volunteer helpers, who have helped Tan with the best of our intentions, seem to have been running fool's errand. This is what raises my hackle a tad, moi dorogoi i molodoi druzia. :up:

You talk about such words as "tactless'' and "offensive" when you yourself have been tactless on more than one occasion in this forum. It doesn't work that way; If you raise an issue about people being offensive make sure you don't have a habit of badmouthing other people's opinions first. It's not 'courage' as you might think of it, it's pretty much the devil rebuking sin.

Let me answer this part with a compound noun phrase: cause and effect. Given your sharp tongue, confidence, and aplomb, you must be a smart guy. I am sure you understand my point here.

when you yourself have been tactless on more than one occasion in this forum

It is good to know you keep a subjective record of what I do at UE. Do I interest you? If yes, please tell me you are a long-legged, fair-haired Russian beauty queen in her early twenties. (joke) :lol:

What do you think this forum was created for?

I think this forum was created for students who need guidance.

Have you never asked questions in your life?

I usually ask the same question once but never trillions of times.

Again: cause and effect.
If you raise an issue about people being offensive make sure you don't have a habit of badmouthing other people's opinions first. It's not 'courage' as you might think of it, it's pretty much the devil rebuking sin.

Nice words. Did you copy this part from a moral lexicon? :)

Finally, one example, if I may. I promise you this will be my last comment to you in this life. You are a street vendor and you sell candies. There is a kid who asks you the price of , say, gummy bears, once. Then he comes back thousand more times asking the same thing over and over again. I wonder what your reaction would be after 50, 100, 300 questions. I belong to that type who would make a mincemeat of him, and I do not think that is because I belong to the dark side. :-o:lol:
I trust you see my point now.

Last edited:

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
When a member starts a new thread, he or she has the right to state by whom they would like their questions to be answered. Period.

What does "period" mean? You close the session? :lol:
Are you a judge? :)
Yes, but this does not change the fact that this is a tactless thing to do. It is a free world. We have the right to do many things. But do we pause for a second and ask ourselves, "Will I tread on others' feelings? Seldom. We just look out for number one.

Since, the thread is started on the forums that are open to every member, every member who wishes to participate in the thread may do so, of course abiding by the forums' rules. Period.

Drop that "period", euncu: stilistically very poor and awkward, really. Trust me it is.

If some members would like their questions to be answered only by the native-speakers and then their questions are answered by some non-native speakers, they might just ignore those answers, by saying "any more ideas, especially, from the native-speakers? "

Absolutely. :up:
You have the right to wish particular members to answer your question. And you have the right to discriminate people according to how you perceive their mental capacities. But I am talking about something completely different.

I am talking about this:
Improve your social tact with What Should I Say? - Webapps - Lifehacker

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
To moderators: Before you hastily decide to close this thread, please pause for a second. Think of these:

1. Is it a heated discussion? Yes it is! Or are we supposed to form a mutual admiration society here?
2. If you close this thread, this matter will remain unresolved and feelings remain bottled and may rekindle later.
3. So will cutting the Gordian knot solve the problem?
4. Does this thread have the potential to develop into a big turmoil? I think we communicate our ideas in a civilized way. As long as this is the case, why play the little tin god? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.