Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Hello.
Do you know what is the difference between cooperation and collaboration? My dictionary says that these two words have the same meaning.

What do you think is the difference between these two?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.
Do you know what is the difference between cooperation and collaboration? My dictionary says that these two words have the same meaning.

Are you sure that's what your dictionary says? The words have closely related meanings which, depending on context, overlap to varying extents. You need to either get a better dictionary or learn to use the one you've got. ;-)

b

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

Kali spe ra
We have similar words in Poland:
1. Kooperacja - means the same like in English, and
2. Kolaboracja - means an act of cooperating traitorously with an enemy
/eg. with Nazi during the World War 2/.
Kali ni hta!

suzie07

Member Type
Student or Learner
NOT A TEACHER!!

OED online def. is:

Co-operate . 1. intr. To work together, act in conjunction (with another person or thing, to an end or purpose, or in a work): a. of persons b. Of things: To concur in producing an effect.

Collaborate 1. intr. To work in conjunction with another or others, to co-operate; esp. in a literary or artistic production, or the like.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
NOT A TEACHER!!

OED online def. is:

Co-operate . 1. intr. To work together, act in conjunction (with another person or thing, to an end or purpose, or in a work): a. of persons b. Of things: To concur in producing an effect.

Collaborate 1. intr. To work in conjunction with another or others, to co-operate; esp. in a literary or artistic production, or the like.

Thank you. The definitions are most useful. While I do agree that they may sometimes be used interchangeably, I generally use them somewhat differently.

I would tend to use "collaborate" if I were actively working with someone -- writing a book together or actively working together on a project. I would tend to use "co-operate" if I were simply working in harmony with someone. For instance, I might say to my wife, "It is time that we stop working at cross purposes and co-operate, so that our children will finally go to bed without complaining."

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

good morning, dervast.

(1) As the other posters have told you, these two words can mean many different things, depending on what idea you want to get across.

(2) But I think that in general, these two examples might bring out the difference:

(a) A teacher can do a good job only if the students COOPERATE (come to class on time, bring their books, do their lessons, ask permission to leave their seats, etc.).

(b) Nowadays in the United States, teachers are being urged to COLLABORATE more. For example, Tommy's math, history, and English teachers are urged to meet once a week in order to discuss any concerns they may have about Tommy's progress. The three teachers could also use one another's lessons in some way. Maybe the English teacher could write lessons that include that week's history vocabulary.

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.