• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

To each his own.

What does 'To each his own' mean? Is it an idiom? Thank you in advance.

What they did was in character. To each his own.

By working fewer hours and taking long vacations, Germans have more time to produce goods at home. " Fair enough. To each his own. But this August, as we Americans longingly imagine all those Europeans leaving their jobs behind for weeks on end, let's remember the rest of the picture -- their hard work at home, unemployed youth, and less educated women -- and perhaps think again about how envious we ought to be.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: To each his own.

It is an idiom, and it means each person finds things desirable/enjoyable in his or her own way.

"chacun a son gout" is another way to say this. (Sorry, I can't make the accents on my keyboard.)

(I don't quite get the paragraph though. German's have a lousy home life and their women aren't educated? That doesn't mesh with my understanding, and the last time I looked at our youth unemployment rate here, it wan't something to brag about.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.