1. svet

Question participles

i would like to know the definition of participles. I saw one definition said all perfect? I usually see present past and past-participles listed together. I know present means now, past- is when the action took place, now please tell me why is the participle aligned with the present and past and tell me please several sentences it is used in. Thanks, svet

2. svet

Re: participles

I hope I'm not posting this message twice, since I already typed it once. I'm interested in the definition of participles. Also they are always with the present and past list of verbs. I know the present is now, the past, is just that. What does the past-participle do with this group. Also please display at least 3 sentencdes using the past or any participle. What are the others and what do they do and sentences please, please, and many thanks in advance. Svet

3. Amy

Quote Originally Posted by svet
    i would like to know the definition of participles. I saw one definition said all perfect? I usually see present past and past-participles listed together. I know present means now, past- is when the action took place, now please tell me why is the participle aligned with the present and past and tell me please several sentences it is used in. Thanks, svet

"A form of a verb that in some languages, such as English, can function independently as an adjective, as the past participle baked in We had some baked beans, and is used with an auxiliary verb to indicate tense, aspect, or voice, as the past participle baked in the passive sentence The beans were baked too long".

I took the above definition from www.dictionary.com
    And hope it would help you in some way.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

We have a present and a past participle. they are used to make various verb forms, like the progressive and the perfect.