Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
In this part:

"As we sit down, Iris Murdoch spirals gracefully in to the room, and I suddenly notice there's an abandoned glass of red wine tucked away under each armchair, as if perhaps in case of emergency."

It means that Iris came in to thre room with a spiral path?
There was a glass of red wine hidden underneath each armchair? and why for emergency under a chair? I mean you do not normally put a glass of wine under the chair for use?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is difficult to interpret as it is taken out of context. But the picture I get is that Iris gracefully enters the room and even spins once or twice, 360 degrees (spirals). Reference to the "emergency" red wine might be mentioned facetiously/jokingly that the situaton requires the wine is ready when needed. As I said, this is my picture. Others might "see" it differently.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. I read a portion of the article by Ms. Coles and the image I had in mind from your excerpt and my original response have changed somewhat. First, based on the picture acompanying the article, I can't imagine Iris "spiriling" as I had described. Sometimes writers get carried away with their own jargon and frankly I don't know what Coles meant by using that term. Second, based on a description and cluttered condition of the room, I suspect that the glasses of wine were probably left under the chairs inadvertently and forgotten. Maybe you have to get in touch with Ms. Coles to get an interpretation of her article.

Status
Not open for further replies.