Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi,

Is there any nuance difference between the words "nation" vs. "country"? Sombody said if you'd like to emphasize on people, then it's better to use 'nation" while 'country' on land. Or I can use both of them freely without any consideration of meaning difference.

Thanks in advance,

Julee

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi,

Is there any nuance difference between the words "nation" vs. "country"? Sombody said if you'd like to emphasize on people, then it's better to use 'nation" while 'country' on land. Or I can use both of them freely without any consideration of meaning difference.

Thanks in advance,

Julee

Nation is (more) abstract.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Julee

I think you are rightly advised. Country and State (‘S’ is capital) are interchangeable. A State/country is a self-governing political entity that has its own government, army, language etc. On the other hand, Nations are culturally homogeneous groups of people, larger than a single tribe or community, which share a common language, institutions, religion, and historical experience.
When a nation of people have a State or country of their own, it is called a nation-state. With its multicultural society, the United States is referred to as a nation-state because of the shared American "culture." So when the president of America addressed to the nation, it refers to the entire body of people within the political boundary of the country of America.

I say: My country in India/My nationality is Indian. or I am an Indian national.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.