Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Historically, some parents have chosen Russia for international adoptions because the wait for children, almost all in orphanages, tends to be much shorter than for countries like China, where it can be years.---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

I ran into the above while reading news at the New York Times.I am curious to know whether I can understand the original sentence like this way.

Historically, some parents have chosen Russia for international adoptions because the wait for children, almost all in orphanages, tends to be much shorter than wait for countries like China, where it can be years.

As you see, I put a "wait" in place because I think both "wait"s are comparative. Could you tell me if my understanding is right? Thanks.

LQZ

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Russia is being compared to certain other countries, which include China, in terms of the length of the waiting game.

almost all in orphanages -- all = :?: potential adoptees in Russia:?: or anywhere:?:
IMO not inferable from the text.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teacher,

I ran into the above while reading news at the New York Times.I am curious to know whether I can understand the original sentence like this way.

As you see, I put a "wait" in place because I think both "wait"s are comparative. Could you tell me if my understanding is right? Thanks.

LQZ

In my opinion, the original sentence was badly worded anyway. This is frequently the case in newspapers where space is limited, leading to some less-than-perfect sentence construction.

The "wait" is for children, not for countries.

Historically, many people have chosen Russia....... because the wait for children there is much shorter than the wait in countries like China....

It is the wait for children, in different countries that is being discussed.

The following is also possible:

Historically, many people have chosen Russia.......because the wait for children there is much shorter than that in countries like China....

LQZ

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, corum.

But to me, the comparison is not countries, but wait(s) for children in different countries.

LQZ

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my opinion, the original sentence was badly worded anyway. This is frequently the case in newspapers where space is limited, leading to some less-than-perfect sentence construction.

The "wait" is for children, not for countries.

Historically, many people have chosen Russia....... because the wait for children there is much shorter than the wait in countries like China....

It is the wait for children, in different countries that is being discussed.

The following is also possible:

Historically, many people have chosen Russia.......because the wait for children there is much shorter than that in countries like China....
Thanks emsr2d2. :)

What you said is what I was taught. But somehow while I ran into the original text taken from the NYT that is trusty, I was thoroughly confused.

Now, I've got it. Thanks again.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thank you, corum.

But to me, the comparison is not countries, but wait(s) for children in different countries.

What is the difference between these?

Comparing countries in terms of the length of wait for children.
vs.
Comparing the length of wait in different countries.

Is the difference substantial? I agree, the waits are being compared 'here' and 'there'.

The comparison is not drawn between these two prep. phrases: for children; for China.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In your original post I think you meant to say, "I think both waits are comparable (not comparative) and if so, you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.