Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Hi all
I read this sentence "Hear my out, I was removed from my senses".
"Hear me out" means more or less "hear all what I have to say until last word"..so very strong, but what about "I was removed from my senses"?
It seems more delicate, so what does it mean and how it is properly used?
Thanks

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the second part means that the speaker wasn't thinking clearly, but in total the sentence is unusual. "Hear me out" would imply that there is more information to follow than the statement about being removed from the speaker's senses.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the second part means that the speaker wasn't thinking clearly, but in total the sentence is unusual. "Hear me out" would imply that there is more information to follow than the statement about being removed from the speaker's senses.

:up: I think it would make sense in the sort of situation where one person was very short-tempered and demanding in a relationship. The other person says 'Hear me out' because s/he knows that the other person is likely to react dismissively - 'How could you even think of such a thing? There's the door! :eek:nfire:'

The 'phrase 'removed from my senses' does sound odd though; I'd expect to hear something like: 'Hear me out. I must have taken leave of my senses'. ('Taking leave' is an old-fashioned way of saying goodbye. 'Taking leave of N's senses is an idiom.)

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.