Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #1

    will announce who will be going?

    This is incorrect:
    I will see how it will go

    What about this? Is it correct in such a context?

    Someone will be going home.
    (Later)I will announce the person who will be going home.

    I also have another query. Does the sentence below seem equivocal?

    I will announce the person who is going home (the person is presently going home but I'll announce it later).
    I will announce the person who is going home (then; going home at the time of the announcement).


    Thank you.

  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #2

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    My understanding:

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    This is incorrect:
    I will see how it will go
    No, it is not. Unless you introduce a first conditional idea (IF present, future), you can but you do not have to simplify tense in subordinate clauses when the superordinate clause already contains future tense (tense simplification). That is,

    I will see how it will go.
    I will see how it goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    What about this? Is it correct in such a context?

    Someone will be going home.
    (Later)I will announce the person who will be going home.


    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    I also have another query. Does the sentence below seem equivocal?

    I will announce the person who is going home (now) (the person is presently going home but I'll announce it later).
    I will announce the person who is going home (then; going home at the time of the announcement).
    (who is scheduled to go home sometime in the future)
    I will announce the person who is going home (at the time of announcement).
    Thank you.
    The time adverbials clarify the time that tenses which verbs carry can't.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #3

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    In my previous thread, an academic member Raymott told me that "We'll see how it will go" is bad English.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...tml#post581822

    It sounds funny to my ears too. In describing future events I normally see/hear the subordinate clause in present tense. Are you an American? Perhaps there's a difference in the American English grammar and the British one. I'm using the latter.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    In my previous thread, an academic member Raymott told me that "We'll see how it will go" is bad English.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...tml#post581822

    I'm innocent!
    Yes, I said it was bad English, not that it was syntactically incorrect. We were discussing usage, not grammar. Native speakers will say "We'll see how it goes". If any native speaker routinely says "We'll see how it will go", then I will stand corrected and amend it to "Almost no one says that".

    It sounds funny to my ears too.
    To mine too. But, at least in English, you can say a lot of grammatical things that sound strange and which native speakers just don't say.


    (Later)I will announce the person who will be going home.
    I also have another query. Does the sentence below seem equivocal?
    Your first meaning is unlikely. The second is possible.
    In reality shows, the sentence is as above. The host will announce the name (after the commercial break) and the person will then leave (ten minutes after the announcement).
    R.
    Last edited by Raymott; 16-Apr-2010 at 05:22.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #5

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    (Later)I will announce the person who will be going home.
    I also have another query. Does the sentence below seem equivocal?
    Your first meaning is unlikely. The second is possible.
    In reality shows, the sentence is as above. The host will announce the name (after the commercial break) and the person will then leave (ten minutes after the announcement).
    Modal "Will" can mean the future 'will" or the non-future certainty/volitional/commanding "will". In my example:

    Someone will be going home (but the decision hasn't been made).
    (Later)I will announce (the person) who will be going home.

    I assume that the second "will" does not add another level futurity to an already future event. Am I right to say that the second "will" merely voices a certainty of going home at the time of announcement, without expressing a future sense (i.e. the future after the time of announcement).

    We can change "will be going home" to "is going home" too, can't we?

  3. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #6

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    I will announce the person who will be going home.
    The second will is a future continuous tense auxiliary because it is part of a will + be + -ing construction. It can't express volition.

    I will announce the person who will go home.
    Here will can be taken as a synonym for willingness.
    Last edited by corum; 16-Apr-2010 at 11:34.


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #7

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    Quote Originally Posted by corum View Post
    The second will is a future continuous tense auxiliary because it is part of a will + be + -ing construction. It can't express volition.

    But I meant the "will" of certainty without futurity and not volition. As in:

    Don't disturb him because he will be doing his work (right now).


    Here will can be taken as a synonym for willingness.
    L.

  4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #8

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    I will announce the person who will be going home.
    will = the person' going home is certain in the future. It has been decided. I cannot always treat futurity and certainty separately.
    Is this what you need? Sorry I have to concentrate on other things too (I am at work).


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 114
    #9

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    Quote Originally Posted by corum View Post
    will = the person' going home is certain in the future. It has been decided. I cannot always treat futurity and certainty separately.
    Is this what you need? Sorry I have to concentrate on other things too (I am at work).
    No, "will" can be non-future (and of course expressing certainty) and it's certainly listed in grammar textbooks.

    I will be/am going now.
    He will be/is watching television at this time of the day.
    I will get him right this moment.

    You are digressing from my topic. I am sorry to have bothered you, but you could reply when you are free. There's no rush! Anyone could reply in this forum and I was not specifically asking you. Anyway, my latest questions are mainly directed to Raymott. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by lycen; 16-Apr-2010 at 12:52.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #10

    Re: will announce who will be going?

    Quote Originally Posted by lycen View Post
    Modal "Will" can mean the future 'will" or the non-future certainty/volitional/commanding "will". In my example:

    Someone will be going home (but the decision hasn't been made).
    The decision about who is going home might or might not have been made yet. I don't see how it matters to the current argument. Someone will be going home because someone has to go home according to the rules of the game/show.
    It seems to me that this implies both certainty and futurity.
    Certainty in the present would require "Someone is going home".

    (Later)I will announce (the person) who will be going home.

    This doesn't imply that there currently exists a specific person who will be going home.

    I assume that the second "will" does not add another level futurity to an already future event.
    I think it does, as I indicated in my previous post. If the person hasn't been chosen yet (the votes aren't yet in), there is no current specific "person who will be going home" that the host can be referring to.

    Am I right to say that the second "will" merely voices a certainty of going home at the time of announcement, without expressing a future sense (i.e. the future after the time of announcement).
    I don't believe so.

    We can change "will be going home" to "is going home" too, can't we?
    Yes, that's possible grammatically and semantically. But I don't see how it helps your argument because the present tense "is going home" can also be used to indicate futurity. When this announcement is made, there is not necessarily a confirmed "person who is going home tonight" either.
    R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. bus stop
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2006, 10:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •