Doubt with prepositions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel Torres

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello folks,

This is my first post here. And of course my doubt is with prepositions in English, which I find very hard. I work mainly writting articles, this information may help the context where the expressions below are used. Here are some doubts I have:

1. "In this page" or "On this page" (same for "next page", "previous page", etc)?

2. "As you can see in Figure 1" or "on Figure 1"?

3. "As we will see on next page" or "on the next page"? -- here my doubt is the usage of "the", as the preposition is covered above.

Thanks in advance,
Gabriel.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think the most common usage is 'ON this page', 'IN Figure 1' and 'on THE next page'.
But I've seen other versions as well, so maybe it would depend on what country you are from.

Gabriel Torres

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dude... You are Russian... Don't get me wrong, if I needed advice from a foreigner I wouldn't be posting on this forums... I need a reply from a native speaker teacher...

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Dude... You are Russian... Don't get me wrong, if I needed advice from a foreigner I wouldn't be posting on this forums... I need a reply from a native speaker teacher...

Bravo!

Gabriel Torres

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for the recommendation, however although I am originally from Brazil I live in the USA, and in fact so far I couldn't find any good practical preposition book here. Any recommendation that I can buy at Amazon.com?

HA: I got a doubt here: should I use "at" or "on" here?

Thanks,
Gabriel.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

That's fine. You could have just skipped my post then.

Just for the record: I'd hate to confuse people so I don't normally answer the questions unless I'm certain about something.

As for your question, you can ask teachers or natives, I'm pretty sure the majority of them will confirm what I said ;-).

P.S. I'm not a dude.

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am here to get facts, not opinions. Keep your opinions to yourself. Thanks.

And you're also here to tell others what they should do on the public forum? :roll:

Do you own this place?

Like I said just ignore whoever's opinion you're not content with but don't ever tell anyone to keep their opinions to themselves on the forum which is not your own!

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Welcome to the forums.

I understand that you are new here and I assume that you've dragged some habits which you might have gotten on some other forums with you. But here, on these forums, this kind of language is not something that can be accepted. So, maybe, the next time you ask a question, please, write at the very beginning of your post that you do expect answers from the native-speaking members only.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This type of post is simply not acceptable here. The FACT is, on many aspects of the English language, there is room for more than one opinion. The other fact is, the original answer you received was correct.

A principle of this forum is to treat others with respect and dignity.

Please talk to others as you would wish others to talk to you. If you're used to rudeness and contempt from others, then please talk to others as you would wish them to talk to your kindly favorite aunt.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Just an aside. It says

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barb_D For This Useful Post:
euncu, IHIVG, TheParser, ymnisky

I would like to make sure I understand the purpose of the "thank you" button so that I can use it consistently in the future, in keeping with what it was designed for.
Barbara politely explained the OP where she thought he went wrong. I am just thinking in what way her post can be useful to someone other than Torres. What was Barbara thanked for four times? Did she provide eye-opening information? Or are those four instances of application of the "thank you" function in reaction to her post simply the manifestation of the intense relief, deep satisfaction, and eternal bliss the four users felt on the edge of their seats at watching Barbara's triumph after the final twists in the screened battle of Good vs. Evil?

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/119604-doubt-prepositions.html#post592274

This post, which contains the information the OP required, was 75% less popular.

My question is, What is the "thank you" button meant for? What should the majority of users use it for?

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, members and guests.

(1) The rules clearly require that non-teachers, such as I, state that fact at the BEGINNING of one's post.

(2) That is a win-win situation for everyone:

(a) Those persons who prefer not to read non-teacher comments may quickly scroll past.

(b) Those persons who enjoy all views realize at the same time that they are reading a non-teacher's views.

(c) The bottom line is: everyone needs to be respectful of one another. We must remember the goal of this website: To enjoy discussing the world's international language. And, yes, to be be "humble" -- that is, to admit how little most of us really know.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.