Writing: Six Traits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kites

Member Type
Other
Hi,
Has anyone used the Six Traits model for teaching writing? Is it a widely-used or useful model?
Appreciate your help! Thank you!

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi,
Has anyone used the Six Traits model for teaching writing? Is it a widely-used or useful model?
Appreciate your help! Thank you!

Hi kites,

What's this Six traits model' ? Is it a technical approach for learning how to write well?

Thanks for your reply.

Kites

Member Type
Other
Hi The French,

Yes it is a model for teaching writing.
More information is available here: writingfix.com/traits.htm

Basically, this method appears to break down the components of writing e.g. organization, voice, word choice. By training students on each of the components, it is hoped that the students can piece the skills learnt together to write well.

I'm actually looking for broad effective strategies for teaching writing. Any help in this area will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Moderator note - Sorry! I checked the wrong box when trying to merge two duplicate threads and ended up merging a completely unrelated to post to this one, which I have since deleted as a duplicate, but not before moving this to a different section of the forums in the process and now moving it back. If you got a bunch of confusing messages about this thread (if you were subscribed), I apologize!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What sort of students will you be teaching?

Kites

Member Type
Other
That's no problem Barb_D. Thanks for your help! :)

Tdol, I'm looking at EFL learners in middle school. The 6 traits seem to have been developed for younger children. However, I understand that the kids are struggling with their writing so I am looking at simpler materials for them.

Have you any advice of broad approaches to writing for me?

Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.