Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello,

Just a question, why in this sentence the journalist use the preposition 'at' instead of 'for' ?

"President Obama on Thursday ordered his health secretary to issue new rules aimed at granting hospital visiting rights to same-sex partners (It's an extract of The New York Times on the web).

It is not better to say 'aimed for granting', perhaps I am totally wrong but when I translate in my mind in French it seems to me bizarre.

Thanks in advance for spending a little time about this easy issue for you.

(Do not hesitate to correct my sentences).

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You always aim at something like when you shoot with an arrow, you aim at the target.
Here the target happens to be a gerund - granting (hospital visiting rights).

OK, you can aim for 2A's in an exam
you can aim for 30% share of the market for a prodect.

not a teacher

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You always aim at something like when you shoot with an arrow, you aim at the target.
Here the target happens to be a gerund - granting (hospital visiting rights).

not a teacher

"Aim at" is correct, indeed.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think (s)he did not tell otherwise, or did (s)he?

I was simply confirming that "aim at" is correct, as the previous poster had said. I always find it helpful if several people confirm the same information.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I was simply confirming that "aim at" is correct, as the previous poster had said. I always find it helpful if several people confirm the same information.

Then I must have misunderstood you, sorry. We usually quote the OP, not an answerer, when we confirm something. Probably that is the source of my misunderstanding.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Then I must have misunderstood you, sorry. We usually quote the OP, not an answerer, when we confirm something. Probably that is the source of my misunderstanding.
We quote the first responder if we simply want to agree. This is what emsr2d2 did.
"Aim at" is correct, indeed = I agree that "aim at" is correct.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I'm not a teacher.

aim at:

She aimed at me.
He aimed the revolver at the intruder.
aim for:
He aimed for the hearth.
She was aiming for a promotion.

Paul Kagame's blackmail aims at granting him impunity.
President Obama on Thursday ordered his health secretary to issue new rules aimed at granting hospital visitation rights to same-sex partners, and making it easier for gays and lesbians to make medical decisions on behalf of their partners.

A territorial political autonomy is an arrangement aimed at granting to a group that differs from the majority of the population in the state, but that constitutes the majority in a specific region, a means by which it can express its distinct identity.

The Union shall develop a common immigration policy aimed at ensuring, at all stages, the efficient management of migration flows, fair treatment of third-country nationals residing legally in Member States aimed at granting them rights and obligations comparable to those of EU citizens, enhance non-discrimination in economic, social and cultural life and develop measures against racism and xenophobia, and the prevention of, and enhanced measures to combat, illegal immigration and trafficking in human beings.

The wording in the Presidency Conclusion of the Tampere European Council Summit goes further than the proposed text when it comes to granting similar rights and obligations to those of EU-citizens to third-country nationals. Furthermore “Tampere” is more explicit when it comes enhancing non-discrimination and developing measures against racism and xenophobia.

Regards,

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.