[Vocabulary] Pronunciation of 'dimension'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dimension---di as 'dai' or 'di', or both are standard pronunciation?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dimension---di as 'dai' or 'di', or both are standard pronunciation?

Thank you.

I would say that both "die-men-shun" and "duh-men-shun" are frequently used. The only one that I don't think you hear very much would be with the "di" pronounced as it is in "did". But it's entirely possible that people pronounce it like that too, and I've simply not heard it.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would say that both "die-men-shun" and "duh-men-shun" are frequently used. The only one that I don't think you hear very much would be with the "di" pronounced as it is in "did". But it's entirely possible that people pronounce it like that too, and I've simply not heard it.

I know what you mean, 'di' has a short 'er' sound rather than a 'di' as in did. However, i cannot find any dictionary say it can be pronounced as [dai'menʃәn]. That is why I am asking if it is right for people to pronounce like that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know what you mean, 'di' has a short 'er' sound rather than a 'di' as in did. However, i cannot find any dictionary say it can be pronounced as [dai'menʃәn]. That is why I am asking if it is right for people to pronounce like that.

I don't know the phonetic symbols, but can I assume that dai' is the same as the word "die". If so, I'm very surprised, because I would have said that that is the most commonly used pronunciation, in the UK at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.