[General] What the BPO actually requires?speaking like a native speakers means what, ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious4eng

Member Type
Student or Learner
I attended a BPO interview.The interviewer,responded after had received the screening test from 20 peoples. I'm one among them. The screening test is nothing but,just about talking on a topic provided that topic is relevant to unforgettable moments in our life.He told, you should speak like native speaker of english, your rate of speech is high, I dont understand.can somebody explain how to face these types of interviews???

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
you should speak like native speaker of english, your rate of speech is high, I dont understand.

I don't understand either. What does BPO stand for?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I attended a BPO interview.The interviewer,responded after had received the screening test from 20 peoples. I'm one among them. The screening test is nothing but,just about talking on a topic provided that topic is relevant to unforgettable moments in our life.He told, you should speak like native speaker of english, your rate of speech is high, I dont understand.can somebody explain how to face these types of interviews???
You want to work in a call centre, if I understand correctly. If the the interviewer said "your rate of speech is high", he probably meant that you were talking too fast.:)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, "screening test from 20 peoples" should be 20 people, with no "s" on the end. If you do get a call center job and say "peoples" you will immediately be identified as a non-native English speaker. That in itself is not bad, but there is a lot of resentment in the US at jobs being outsourced to foreign call centers, so if the caller you're assisting gets an obvious clue that the Help Desk he's just called is overseas somewhere, he may get rude with you.

It sounds like the interviewer wants you to be able to speak for several minutes and sound like a native English speaker while doing so. When he says "high rate" he probably means you should be able to speak rapidly with no obvious pauses while you search your mind for the correct word.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand either. What does BPO stand for?

BPO stands for Business Process Outsourcing. Usually that means the person is interviewing for a call center or "Help Desk" job. And, when the person asking the question is from India, it means it's a call center being staffed with non-native English speakers to answer calls from an English-speaking country. (There is a business trend in the US where companies can save many millions of dollars by outsourcing their call center operations to other countries (usually India). They can then reduce their staff at the US office and not have to pay high salaries, insurance benefits, etc.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Yes, if he said your rate of speech is high then I imagine he meant too fast to be understood. It's important when speaking a foreign language to slow down to a pace where the words are understandable despite any accent you might have. However, you still have to speak at a speed that makes it sound "natural" and not as if you are constantly trying to remember the right word.

Status
Not open for further replies.