Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Should "diversion" and "amusement" be in quotation marks?

As for the word "sport," it derives from Old French "desport," which means diversion or amusement.

Thanks.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic

As for the word "sport," it derives from Old French "desport," which means diversion or amusement.

Thanks.

No, they shouldn't. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, however. Is there some situation you are thinking of where quotation marks might be called for?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
No, they shouldn't. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, however. Is there some situation you are thinking of where quotation marks might be called for?

No, I wasn't thinking of any particular situation. I just thought I might have to use quotation marks because "amusement" and "diversion" are English translations of the word "desport."

Thanks.

isedehi

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I don't think its necessary. You could but its better you do not. The reader has already got the picture with the first two. The other words are otherwise further explanations which should be left without quotation marks.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
No, I wasn't thinking of any particular situation. I just thought I might have to use quotation marks because "amusement" and "diversion" are English translations of the word "desport."

Thanks.

I guess I don't understand what you mean. They are just basic English words. Thousands of words come from other languages, especially French. I wouldn't say they are translations; I'd say they are derived from. "Derive," too, derives from a French word: "deriver."

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Thanks.

'Derive' means to receive or obtain from a source or origin.
I think it is more appropriate to use 'is derived'.

Notice I didn't use quotation marks to explain the meaning of the word.

Not a teacher

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
'Derive' means to receive or obtain from a source or origin.
I think it is more appropriate to use 'is derived'.

Notice I didn't use quotation marks to explain the meaning of the word.

Not a teacher

Thank you very much for the correction. You may, in fact, be right. You will commonly see "derives from" used in the way that I did, but that doesn't make it correct. I would ordinarily use "derived from," as I did in the previous sentence of the earlier post. Perhaps there are other teachers out there who have insights concerning this.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you very much for the correction. You may, in fact, be right. You will commonly see "derives from" used in the way that I did, but that doesn't make it correct. I would ordinarily use "derived from," as I did in the previous sentence of the earlier post. Perhaps there are other teachers out there who have insights concerning this.
I would say both "derives from" and "is derived from" are correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I would say "is derived from".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks.
No. With 'desport' you are referring to a word; with 'amusement' and 'diversion' you are referring to meanings. I've used quotes here because I'm referring to them as words not meanings.

I don't have a problem with 'derives from'.

Status
Not open for further replies.