Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
In Brazil, we don´t use ballot papers when we have to vote anymore; we use computers where we digit the candidates´ numbers. If I don´t like any of the candidates, and, on purpose, I digit a number that doesn´t correspond to any of the candidates, what am I doing: spoiling the vote or invalidating the vote, or both?

Last edited:

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
How can an American spoil and how can he invalidade his vote? Could you give me examples?

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
So what would you do with the ballot paper if none of the candidates pleased you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So what would you do with the ballot paper if none of the candidates pleased you?

With a paper ballot in the UK, if you don't wish to vote for any of the candidates, you simply have to make any mark on the paper that is not in line with the voting rules (or of course you could write nothing at all, or just not even go to vote!)
In the UK, you mark a large "X" in a box next to the name of the person you are voting for. If you make any other type of mark, or write anything anywhere on the ballot paper other than in the box, you have officially "spoiled" your ballot paper.
As it's meant to be a secret vote, you then fold the paper in half and put it in the ballot box so the people who are monitoring the vote have no idea what you did.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With a paper ballot in the UK, if you don't wish to vote for any of the candidates, you simply have to make any mark on the paper that is not in line with the voting rules (or of course you could write nothing at all, or just not even go to vote!)
In the UK, you mark a large "X" in a box next to the name of the person you are voting for. If you make any other type of mark, or write anything anywhere on the ballot paper other than in the box, you have officially "spoiled" your ballot paper.
As it's meant to be a secret vote, you then fold the paper in half and put it in the ballot box so the people who are monitoring the vote have no idea what you did.
:up: (The rules are very strict. If you put a :tick: by the candidate's name, the ballot is spoilt.)

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In Brazil, we don´t use ballot papers when we have to vote anymore; we use computers where we digit the candidates´ numbers. If I don´t like any of the candidates, and, on purpose, I digit a number that doesn´t correspond to any of the candidates, what am I doing: spoiling the vote or invalidating the vote, or both?
Also, 'digit' isn't a verb.
"press a button" is close to what you want.
To vote, we press the candidate's number on the keypad.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

The only thing in the UK is to spoil your ballot. Unfortunately, we don't have a box for 'None of the Candidates'.

Status
Not open for further replies.