difference between 'through' and ' across'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica81

Member Type
Student or Learner
I cant make those clearly...
Those make me confused. I'll show you some examples that make me confused

1.At that moment I was walking ACROSS the road.
2.She swam THROUGH ACROSS the Thames.
3.I went THROUGH ACORSS the desert.
4.Yor were running ACROSS THROUGH the crowed
5.The cat was going THROUGH ACROOSthe empty street.
6.The monkey played THROUGH the jungle
7.My mother did some shopping THROUGH the market.
8.The skier climbedTHROUHG ACROSS the glacier.

I was right 1,6 and 7

could you explain why the others were wrong??
thanks

gauri_agr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Across is "from one side to the other". it is used on the surface and not inside of something.

Through means "to reach to the end". It is used when going inside of something

1. At that moment I was walking ACROSS the road. (correct, it is on the surface of something)
2.She swam THROUGH ACROSS the Thames.("through" as it is inside something like water)
3.I went THROUGH ACORSS the desert.( "through" as it is inside the desert)
4.Yor were running ACROSS THROUGH the crowed(again it will be "through" as we can only be inside the crowed and not on the surface of the crowd)
5.The cat was going THROUGH ACROOSthe empty street. ( "across" , as it is on the surface)
6.The monkey played THROUGH the jungle(its a kind of tunnel surrounded by trees so again it has to be "through")
7.My mother did some shopping THROUGH the market.(market is again when we can be inside and not on the surface so it is "through")
8.The skier climbedTHROUHG ACROSS the glacier.(it should be across as it on surface)

I am not a teacher and a learner. I want the senior member to point out my mistakes

Thanks & Regards
Gauri

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I cant make those clearly...
Those make me confused. I'll show you some examples that make me confused

1.At that moment I was walking ACROSS the road. - Correct

2.She swam [STRIKE]THROUGH[/STRIKE]ACROSS the Thames. - She swam from one side to the other, therefore across.

3.I went THROUGH ACROSS the desert. Technically, both could be correct, depending on context. If you start at one side of a desert and go all the way to the other side, then you go "across" the desert. However, for instance, you start a journey at one side of the desert but after 20km, you are collected by helicopter (!). You would say that you walked through the desert, until you found the helicopter.

4.Yor were running [STRIKE]ACROSS[/STRIKE] THROUGH the crow[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]d (Note spelling of crowd)

5.The cat was going [STRIKE]THROUGH[/STRIKE] ACROSSthe empty street.

6.The monkey played THROUGH the jungle - In my opinion, neither through nor across fits this sentence. I can understand how a monkey could play in the jungle, but neither of the choices really fit.

7.My mother did some shopping THROUGH the market. - Again, in my opinion, neither is correct. You shop in or at a market.

8.The skier climbed[STRIKE]THROUHG[/STRIKE] ACROSS the glacier.

I was right 1,6 and 7

could you explain why the others were wrong??
thanks

Please see my notes and comments above.

Status
Not open for further replies.