Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Many thanks,

Ripe fruit is often stored in a place at which contains much carbon dioxide so that the fruit will not decay too rapidly.

The correct choice is C, at which. I think it should be changed by in which. Am I right?
However, my textbook suggested this sentence would be correct if in which changes to which.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Toefl Test Grammar

Many thanks,

Ripe fruit is often stored in a place at which contains much carbon dioxide so that the fruit will not decay too rapidly.

The correct choice is C, at which. I think it should be changed by in which. Am I right?
However, my textbook suggested this sentence would be correct if in which changes to which.

You didn't post the choices which weren't "C" but I would say the sentence should read:

Ripe fruit is often stored in a place which contains a lot of carbon dioxide.........

Please note that if you have a new question, you should put it in a new post so that as many people as possible see it.

heisazadeh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

In this section of the test of Toefl, each sentence has four underlined words or phrases. The four underlined parts of the sentence are marked A, B, C, and D. We have to identify the one underlined word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct. Thanks again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In this section of the test of Toefl, each sentence has four underlined words or phrases. The four underlined parts of the sentence are marked A, B, C, and D. We have to identify the one underlined word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct. Thanks again.

Now I understand! In that case, you were completely correct.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Then wouldn't 'at which' would be B unless they are labelled non-consecutively?

Anyway it doesn't matter. You'd have to change 'at which' to 'which', as your textbook says, to make this sentence right.
a place which contains much carbon dioxide
a place at which there is much carbon dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.