[Grammar] Have/Has

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul4567

Member Type
Other
I struggle with these 2 more than I should and can never find specific info online to make me feel comfortable using these words. In the following example, which one is correct?

Since the commencement of data collection there have been over 6,000 samples analyzed.

or

Since the commencement of data collection there has been over 6,000 samples analyzed.

As always thanks for your valuable and friendly advice.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I struggle with these 2 more than I should and can never find specific info online to make me feel comfortable using these words. In the following example, which one is correct?

Since the commencement of data collection there have been over 6,000 samples analyzed.

or

Since the commencement of data collection there has been over 6,000 samples analyzed.

"...there have been..." because "over 6,000 samples" is plural.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

or

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, Paul.

(1) My teachers told me to erase the word "there " from my mind.

(a) Now, would you say 6,000 samples has/have been analyzed.

(b) You would probably say "have."

Thank you.

paul4567

Member Type
Other
Thank you both. I also dislike the word 'there' - I am reviewing a document for my supervisor and want to be as delicate as possible, but I reworked the sentence and dropped 'there.'

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you both. I also dislike the word 'there' - I am reviewing a document for my supervisor and want to be as delicate as possible, but I reworked the sentence and dropped 'there.'

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Excellent decision. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.