Salutations in Memo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter2005

Member Type
Other
Hi,

Can someone let me know if one can use "Dear..." and "Sincerely yours" in a official memo being issued?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Can someone let me know if one can use "Dear..." and "Sincerely yours" in a official memo being issued?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

From my days working in an office environment, I would say no. A memo usually has the To: and From: lines at the top, along with a Subject: line (much like an email). When I wrote/received memos, the only thing that went in the body of the actual memo was the information you were delivering/reading.

"Dear Sir" and Yours sincerely" are normally used for formal letters, not memos.

Peter2005

Member Type
Other
Is it a mere custom not to use the salutations in Memos, or they change the legal status of the Memo?

Can you clarify it?

Thanks,

Peter

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it a mere custom not to use the salutations in Memos, or they change the legal status of the Memo?

Can you clarify it?

Thanks,

Peter

The "legal" status? Are you writing a legal memo? If so, then I have no experience of that. I didn't work in law. Perhaps someone else can enlighten both of us on that point!
I was basing my answer on my old Civil Service job where, to be honest, once computers were introduced to the work environment, memos became somewhat obsolete as they had always been handwritten/typed.

Status
Not open for further replies.