Has Maria already gone to Sally's house ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph2004

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Is this correct : "Has Maria already gone to Sally's house ?"
If so, is this an exception to the rule that one has to use "yet" in questions, so : "Has Maria gone to Sally's house yet ?" Or are both sentences possible ?

And, if only the first sentence is correct : why is this an exception to the rule ?

ph2004

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
I thought that the rule is to use "yet" in questions and negative sentences and to use "already" in positive sentences.

Or not so ?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes and no ;-). If you're going to use an adverb of time, those are the conditions in which they should be used. But you don't have to.

b

ph2004

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Yes and no ;-). If you're going to use an adverb of time, those are the conditions in which they should be used. But you don't have to.

b

So both "Has Maria already gone to Sally's house today ?" and "Has Maria gone to Sally's house today yet ?" are correct ? :shock:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So both "Has Maria already gone to Sally's house today ?" and "Has Maria gone to Sally's house today yet ?" are correct ? :shock:

I would use either of those, interchangeably.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I wouldn't use "today" with "yet". I would use: "Has Maria gone to Sally's house today?" or "Has Maria gone to Sally's house yet?" And I wouldn't use "today" with "already" unless I wrote: "Has Maria already been to Sally's house today?"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is this correct : "Has Maria already gone to Sally's house ?"
If so, is this an exception to the rule that one has to use "yet" in questions, so : "Has Maria gone to Sally's house yet ?" Or are both sentences possible ?

And, if only the first sentence is correct : why is this an exception to the rule ?
They're both right but used in different contexts.
"Has Maria gone to Sally's house yet ?"
You ask this if you are expecting Maria to go to Sally's house, but you aren't sure whether she's there yet.
So, if you phoned Sally, you'd say, "Is Maria there, yet?"

"Has Maria already gone to Sally's house ?"
You ask this if you are expecting Maria to go to Sally's house, but you have some reason, maybe a suspicion, to believe she is there before the time you expected her to be.
So, if you phone Sally, you'd say, "Is Maria already there?"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oops. I didn't notice the "today" -- only the "yet" or "already." I change my earlier comment to "Remove the 'today' and I would say either of them. "

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use both as questions, but not interchangeably. It could be a difference in variants- like Raymott, , I'd ask with 'already' if I thought she'd left unexpectedly early or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.