"here we go" meaning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

margherita

Member Type
Other
Hi I'd like to know the sense of "here we go". I don't figure out what it means but often it is used in the spoken english.

thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can refer to actually going, but can also be used to the beginning of any enterprise/program/activity. It can also be used to denigrate a recognized course of argument (to belittle it as soon as it starts):

Going: (A family in a car, off on holiday) - 'Tickets? Passports?... Right, here we go.'

Beginning: (Beginning a bit of DIY) - 'Tools? Instructions?... Right, here we go.'

Sarcasm: (Political debaters) - 'Here we go again! Mr Brown always says the taxpayer will foot the bill.'

I believe Ronald Reagan used the last version - though he might have said 'There you go' (which means much the same, but with a more disdainful and argumentative tone).

b

Codyroo

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can also think of it as the starting (initiation) of an adventure, where you don't know what the result or conclusion will be like.

This might be used on a roller coaster ride, when you are at the very top of the initial climb and are about to accelerate to 100 km/hr and go through a loop. "Well, here we goooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Bob K has defined this well.

digitS'

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is also that very irritating, "here you go" from the cashier at a store when you are handed your change.

What happened to, "thank you?" Oh yes, we the patrons should say that. "Thank you for selling me something from your store."

Maybe we should be thankful we are not told, "Here you go, now get out of here!"

:crazyeye: . . . very irritating.

Steve

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think in a shop in the UK the assistant would say 'Here you are'. 'Here you go', when accompanying a think given or handed, tends to follow a request: 'Can you pass me that hammer?'/'Here you go'. I think the idea of starting something is still here; the requestor can now start using the thing requested. (At least, I think that's how I hear it. ;-)) Occasionally, a shop assistant does use 'here you go' - but it doesn't annoy me; it just makes me think they're not British.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.