Video Game for Learning English

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogercastao

Member Type
Student or Learner
hahahaah it´s fun, talk about one thing that do improve our english language!

Joory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
هذا الاستفتاء رائع شكرا جزيلا

This referendum wonderful, thank you very much
جوري

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is a great idea to teach and learn English.

Inas Almasry

Member Type
English Teacher
I strongly agree with you. we should use all kinds of media in teaching either languages or any branchs of science. Thanks.

SeseinAsia

Member Type
Academic
This might not be the right place to post this, but since it is the most active forum, I hope to get someone other than Red and Tdol to reply :-D (not that I don't enjoy chatting with you two).

As learners of English, would you be interested in a multiplayer video game in which you could chat and collaborate with other users in English and improove you english skills through performing quests in a 3d game world?

More info here: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11640

Your replies will help me decide if such a project is worthwhile or not.

Being that you are talking about users being able to collaborate and chat with other users and using English skills to do things such as complete quests, are you not describing something very similar to a MMORPG?

There are many MMORPGs out there which have been translated into English (which makes the number of English speaking players, and English speaking/reading a requirement to get anywhere in the game).

The only issue I currently see with this is that many MMORPGs have servers located in different spots around the globe in order to best provide service to people in those regions.

A prime example is the MapleStory franchise. MapleGlobal serves the North American region, and is locked to players in other regions of the world. This is mainly for profit reasons, as each server would like the people in those geographic areas to send money to them rather than a server halfway across the globe.

Ignoring the profit reasons of why each server is for a certain location, I believe that there are also technological reasons why this cannot happen. North American users are still able to cheat and obtain accounts for servers in Asia, but experience severe server lag.

Another issue I could see with this would be to have a server large enough to be able to handle and efficiently manage heavy useage from all around the world.

Those issues aside, I think that MMORPGs are inadvertently already doing what you mentioned, but if they could truly make a global server, that would be awesome and only further the language learning potential by exposing so many more users to it.

TheOneNOnly

Member Type
Student or Learner
Vedio game for learning english will be a nice item, but then, children may not really learn and say their parents that we are learning english, but doing it only for fun.....

Huda-M

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I think the vedio game would be a nice idea... But it should be a very different and unique thing, to appeal to most people, because most vedio game fans and players want a new type everytime......
Good luck.

Maniak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Videogames is good for learning english :). So I searching people who have Xbox 360. I want learnining english on Xbox live by communications in english in game or in party. I have many games on Xbox 360 and I am still gold member. My gamertag is Premium Maniak. If you want help me with english, send me mesage on Xbox live.

btraill

Member Type
Student or Learner
Gaming, in my opinion, contributres greatly to the betterment of ones English. I started gaming at the young age of six. I played a 2D MMORPG that simulated one of the first SNES Zelda Games. From this game, I picked up and used much more advanced langauge than any other kid my age. I was often thought to be much older than what I actually was.

As for the people who voted 'No'. I'm not sure where you're coming from. The pro's outweigh the con's significantly. Off the top of my head I cannot even come to any worth mentioning con's... Ignorance is not an excuse.

Akira

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I think adventures are the best way to learn while gaming. I, for instance, use to play the adventure games of Telltales.

Monkey Island, Sam&Max, Wallace&Gromit. The only way to complete the game is to understand what the characters are saying, that means you have to use your listening skills. Plus they're a lot of fun and that's an incentive to get on. ;-)

henrinaiara

Member Type
Student or Learner
too much learning is boring
too much game is not good
why don't learn something while having fun sometime?
i find it an effective way to learn english by playing game, especially it will be interesting for kids

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I almost always use games for learning English.
Furthermore I've been watching American TV series for many months, too.
Of course both games and TV series can contain some questionable English.
Important is not to focus on freeware games or poor imports.

Some games that I play:
Unreal Tournament 3
Final Fantasy XII
Abe's Exodus
Battlefield 2
No One Lives Forever 2
Counter-Strike Source
(Plenty of more games, but most in German, though.)

Series that I watch:
According to Jim
Still Standing

One teacher said:
Game programmers' first language is C++ or whatever, not English.
Maybe he's right, however, if it's a well-known game (which is expensive), a programmer would never work on the language.
Such a part is for a language teacher.
I'm not a professional, but I can quickly find out if the English is poor or not.
(I think most of us could find this out.)

I have learned a lot of information just by playing such games or watching such TV series.
If there are some unclear sentences, I can always ask in these forums to set things right!

P.S. I hope my post was not too off-topic, but I really needed to write this ;-)

Cheers!

Iankong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I would like to have one of this, but don't know whether is "Interactive" or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.