[Grammar] No Guarantees or No Guarantee ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Wives are free to urge their spouses to listen and express their feelings, but we can offer no guarantees that you will achieve meaningful results.

Dear teachers:

I've seen this structure many a time. It's suddenly occured to me today that the use of a plural noun seems wrong here. The writer wanted to tell buyers that not a single promise could be made as to whether wives would get what they wanted. Then, why there's the plural form of guarantee? Given this is from a native speaker, there must be something that can be expanded.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers:

I've seen this structure many a time. It's suddenly occured to me today that the use of a plural noun seems wrong here. The writer wanted to tell buyers that not a single promise could be made as to whether wives would get what they wanted. Then, why there's the plural form of guarantee? Given this is from a native speaker, there must be something that can be expanded.

Thanks for your help.

Richard
I think you've partly hit on the answer. ("not a single promise" = no promises). A guarantee could be thought of as a contract that covers many promises. On the other hand, each promise could be called a guarantee.

In other words, a "guarantee" (the contract) can contain several "guarantees" (promises). You can use either.

Last edited:

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you, Raymott. Your answer is of great help to me.

May I take it as either No Guarantee or No Guarantee would be considered as right in this sentence?

Furthermore, I guess this formula isn't universal. And the first of the following sentences would be the only corrent one:

There will be no book left when I leave this room.

There will be no books left when I leave this room.

Am I right in thinking so?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you, Raymott. Your answer is of great help to me.

May I take it as either No Guarantee or No Guarantees would be considered as right in this sentence?
Yes.

Furthermore, I guess this formula isn't universal.
No, but it could also apply to some other words. eg. "We have no result/results yet" - where the overall result is a combination of several lesser results. You could use either.

And the first of the following sentences would be the only corrent one:

There will be no book left when I leave this room.

There will be no books left when I leave this room.

Am I right in thinking so?
No, they are both correct sentences, but for a different reason.
This is something I didn't consider in my previous response - which is still correct as far as it goes.
In reality, no book = no books. Grammatically, they are different, but if you have no book, you have no books.

You can't always choose between singular or plural though - there are situations in which only one is appropriate.
The jury has reached no verdict yet. Right (in situations where the jury is only considering one verdict)
* The jury has reached no verdicts yet.
Generally wrong.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I see. I don't have to worry about the choice of singular or plural as long as it doesn't matter.

I've come thought of it in this way before. But I don't have the heart to come to the conclusion. Now, I have your words.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.