View Poll Results: How many languages do you speak?

Voters
235. This poll is closed

19 8.09%

65 27.66%

66 28.09%

47 20.00%

13 5.53%
  • More than 5

25 10.64%
Page 5 of 14 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Last
  1. Susie Smith

How many languages do you speak?

I speak two languages well: English and Portuguese.

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: How many languages do you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    I speak two languages well: English and Portuguese.
    Welcome to our friendly forum!

3. sanny
    RonBee wrote:

It would be "cool" to get to speak German with you, but I don't think I will ever get that chance.

I don't understand why you'll never get that chance?! Do you mean the pronouncation? That's no problem, I can write the pronouncation behind the words! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    Indicate how many languages you speak by voting, and then describe what they are.
    I speak Siyang/Chin( my mother tongue), Burmese, English, German and French ( have been learning only for about 2 years).

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by sanny
    RonBee wrote:

It would be "cool" to get to speak German with you, but I don't think I will ever get that chance.

I don't understand why you'll never get that chance?! Do you mean the pronouncation? That's no problem, I can write the pronouncation behind the words! ;)
    I meant literally speaking it. So I guess I sort of mean pronunciation. I never get to speak it with anybody. So my ability to carry on a conversation in German is minimal at best. If you don't use it you lose it.

If I see written German I can "catch" some of it. If you write to me in German I'll try to figure it out.

I suppose that where you are it's not so hard to find people to practice with. Am I right?

:)

6. wingsin806

Indicate how many languages you speak by voting, and then describe what they are.
    i come form Hong Kong
    i can speak in cantonese,english(not very well)and mandarin

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by wingsin806
    i come form Hong Kong
    i can speak in cantonese,english(not very well)and mandarin
    Actually, your English is not that bad. Send me a PM, and I'll see if I can help. May I ask how old you are?

8. sanny
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by sanny
    RonBee wrote:

I meant literally speaking it. So I guess I sort of mean pronunciation. I never get to speak it with anybody. So my ability to carry on a conversation in German is minimal at best. If you don't use it you lose it.

If I see written German I can "catch" some of it. If you write to me in German I'll try to figure it out.

I suppose that where you are it's not so hard to find people to practice with. Am I right?

Well, normally I don't speak it very much. In a normal week of my 27 lessons, 3 lessons are German. But there are only two of them where I also speak a little bit. Most we do is writing and understanding, not very much speaking.

The biggest mistake a lot of Dutch people make is the sound of 'I' in German. 'I' is written as 'ich', but in Holland we speak the 'ch' like a very hard 'g', like a grum. So a lot of people make the German 'ch' sound like a Dutch 'g' and that's very wrong. German people can't even say that very growl Dutch 'g'.
    In English a 'g' is also very soft pronounced so I think it's more easy for a English person to pronounce German than a Dutch person. But for Dutch persons it's more easy for reading German, because it looks a lot like Dutch. Do you still understand it?
    One very big problem for most people is the German cases, there are a lot of rules in using them and in general I understand them, but when I just have to write a text, I forget using it. :D

9. sanny
    Today I can teach you just the words for:

I = ich (pronouncation: iech)
    you = du (pronouncation: doe)
    he = er (pronouncation: eer)
    she = sie (pronouncation: sie)
    it = es (pronouncation: ès)
    we = wir (pronouncation: wier)
    you (they)= ihr (pronouncation: ier)
    you (an older person)= Sie (pronouncation: sie)

Now, study this for the next time I see you! (hahaha, like a real teacher would say that! :D)

10. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Old fashioned teachers might well say it.

Page 5 of 14 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Last