British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Does your packets reach..
Do your packets reach..
for some reason my break is stuck :(
Well, because your noun is plural, "do" is correct. But I have no idea what it's supposed to mean!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does your packets reach..
Do your packets reach..
for some reason my break is stuck :(

As already said, "do" is correct, though I also have no idea what that sentence means.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "For some reason my break is stuck"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have your packets arrived???

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
As already said, "do" is correct, though I also have no idea what that sentence means.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "For some reason my break is stuck"?

Hehe thankjs for your replies! Nice trhread! Hmm probably my phrase refers to cases you feel either that your brain was left home alone or in cases brain seems to not be working. What did you understand with my stupid phrase?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hehe thankjs for your replies! Nice trhread! Hmm probably my phrase refers to cases you feel either that your brain was left home alone or in cases brain seems to not be working. What did you understand with my stupid phrase?

Ah, so you meant to write "brain", not "break"? That makes much more sense

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ah, so you meant to write "brain", not "break"? That makes much more sense
It's funny how using the completely wrong word can impair communication, isn't it?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, because your noun is plural, "do" is correct. But I have no idea what it's supposed to mean!

Maybe it's a reference to Packet switching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia technology (where a message is broken up into 'packets' which are fed down whichever route is most efficient - when they arrive, the message is put together by the receiving node, and everything makes sense).

b

PS People have no contact with these 'packets', so if the expression 'Have your packets arrived?' refers to this technology, it's a jocular metaphor. It's by no means in common use, but I've heard it more than once, used between computer scientists to mean 'finally got the message' [that's a metaphorical message, of course. ;-)]

Last edited:

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Maybe it's a reference to Packet switching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia technology (where a message is broken up into 'packets' which are fed down whichever route is most efficient - when they arrive, the message is put together by the receiving node, and everything makes sense).

b

PS People have no contact with these 'packets', so if the expression 'Have your packets arrived?' refers to this technology, it's a jocular metaphor. It's by no means in common use, but I've heard it more than once, used between computer scientists to mean 'finally got the message' [that's a metaphorical message, of course. ;-)]

You are absolutely correct!! (absolutely used correctly?)
Thanks for all your replies. I had so much fun reading again my first post.
My brain was really stuck by that time (moment?) so using the verb break seem to me just the same).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
;-) You're welcome, and your use of 'absolutely' is fine. I'm glad I guessed right - while I was writing my possible explanation I was beginning to think it was totally improbable. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.