Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I have been reading about the use of the definite article The in one of the posts sent recently. The use of this word it is sometimes really difficult.
I met a pair of examples concerning this topic. Can anyone explain the reason why in one of the sentence the article is used while in the other isn't?

The most beautiful girl in the world

The most beautiful girl on Earth.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Tepal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The" is not used for names, very few exceptions like "the United States".

Examples:
Correct: She lives in Texas.
Incorrect: She lives in the Texas.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
-- I am not an ESL teacher anymore --

I have been reading about the use of the definite article The in one of the posts sent recently. The use of this word it is sometimes really difficult.
I met a pair of examples concerning this topic. Can anyone explain the reason why in one of the sentence the article is used while in the other isn't?

The most beautiful girl in the world

The most beautiful girl on Earth.

Thank you.

I don't know the answer to your question precisely, but I'll give it a try.

Take a look at this example from another thread:
When students asked me about the difference between "the" and "a" I often came up with this example: In a certain room there are nine black chairs and one white chair.
The teacher may tell a coming student either:

- Please come in, pick up a black chair and have a seat.
- Which one?
- Anyone you wish, but not that white one.

or

- Please come in, pick up the white chair and have a seat.
- Which one?
- That white one over there.

In the second situation from the example above, there is only one white chair, but there could be more than one. I mean there exists other white chairs somewhere else.

In your example 'Earth' is only one, because as Tepal said, it is a name. It is named to be unique. On the other hand, in principle, there could be more worlds (who knows?) - but you want to emphasize that she is the most beautiful girl precisely in this world, so you use 'the'. It is only one world, the world, but there could be others (as it is not a proper noun).

PS Not a native speaker

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
"The" is not used for names, very few exceptions like "the United States".

Examples:
Correct: She lives in Texas.
Incorrect: She lives in the Texas.

I agree with Tepal regarding nouns. And I tried to justify it somehow with my post above.
Concerning the exception (the United States) I think it is very properly explained
in this thread https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/101451-country.html

From that thread, particularly take a look at the following quote by orangutan:
I think the main point is that the country names that require "the" are made up of common nouns and adjectives, rather than being proper nouns in their own right. This is true also of "the Nether Lands". I'm not sure about the Philippines, but I think it may be short for the Philippine Islands.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Unique objects usually take the definite article "the", e.g. "the world", "the Himalays", "the Grand Canyon" and while "the earth" is also unique and can be used with "the" it is also one of several "fixed expressions" where "the" is not used, such as "on foot", "on horseback", "on trial", "on Mars" (and other planets).

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Unique objects usually take the definite article "the", e.g. "the world", "the Himalays", "the Grand Canyon" and while "the earth" is also unique and can be used with "the" it is also one of several "fixed expressions" where "the" is not used, such as "on foot", "on horseback", "on trial", "on Mars" (and other planets).

Yes, a simple search in google returns many instances for "the earth" - about 61,300,000. But I guess in these situation the word 'earth' is kind of working like 'world' (there could be more than one earth) - that is language dynamically changing.

Concerning 'the Grand Canyon', in principle there could be other 'canyons', for instance a 'Small Canyon' or something like that. In "the Himalayas" case I guess it stands for "The Himalayas Range" (Himalayas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and, once more, there could be other 'ranges'.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, a simple search in google returns many instances for "the earth" - about 61,300,000. But I guess in these situation the word 'earth' is kind of working like 'world' (there could be more than one earth) - that is language dynamically changing.

Concerning 'the Grand Canyon', in principle there could be other 'canyons', for instance a 'Small Canyon' or something like that. In "the Himalayas" case I guess it stands for "The Himalayas Range" (Himalayas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and, once more, there could be other 'ranges'.
"The Grand Canyon" is a national park in the state of Arizona and would fit within the category of "unique objects" as opposed to other unnamed canyons of lesser significance.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
"The Grand Canyon" is a national park in the state of Arizona and would fit within the category of "unique objects" as opposed to other unnamed canyons of lesser significance.

Yes, billmcd, I understand that. What I am trying to say is that, in principle, there could be other canyons. It is the same as the United States. Of course no one will deny the uniqueness and importance of the United States, but in principle there could exist other ones. What I stated in my posts above is simply an idea I've just had.

Maybe we are saying the same thing. What I claim is that "The Grand Canyon" is a 'unique object' from other possible 'canyons' which justifies the article 'the'. By a similar reasoning "the world" in the OP's example is a unique one.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Let me try to clarify further my point.

Take a look at what Barb_D replied to my chairs example:
In a certain room there are nine black chairs and one white chair.
The teacher may tell a coming student either:

- Please come in, pick up a black chair and have a seat.
- Which one?
- Anyone you wish, but not that white one.

or

- Please come in, pick up the white chair and have a seat.
- Which one?
- That white one over there.
With your second one, I'd be more likely to say "The only white chair you see!" But then, I don't have much patience. It's one of the reasons I'd be a terrible teacher!

We may try to extend Barb_D's reply to the OP's example:

- She is the most beautiful girl in the world.
- Which world?
- The only world you see! (That means, there could be other worlds, but when 'the' is used, it is clear for everybody which one we are talking about).

Another one:
- I have visited the Grand Canyon.
- Which one?
- The only one exists! (Again in principle there could be other canyons, but the article 'the' selects the only special one)

Regarding the other OP example:
- She is the most beautiful girl on Earth!
- (*Which Earth?) (There is no way to ask this question here, there is no possibility of another Earth.)

As I said, if you use the article 'the' you are assuming there could be another earth:
- She is the most beautiful girl in the Earth.
- Which Earth?
- The only one exists.

Not a native speaker

areev

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
thanks to you all !

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

The most beautiful girl in the world. (Unique reference)

The most beautiful girl on (the) Earth. (Optional) (on earth=in the world)
(Mind you: other planets in the solar system get zero article.)

Thank you.
(Not a teacher)

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
By the way, today is (the) Earth's Day !

Status
Not open for further replies.