[Grammar] "Come with" vs "Come with me"

• Thread starter normaltraffic
  • Start date
  • Views : 15,253
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

normaltraffic

If someone inquires about someone else intentions to join them, should the question be:

"Are you coming with me."

or

"Are you coming with."

I had always thought that "with me" was correct, but I am hearing the "with" version more and more often.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Really? "Come with" is common in certain regions -- Chicago, for example -- but I wasn't aware it had migrated to universal use. I use it because I was infected with that use by an old boyfriend, but I don't hear it much from others. I'm sure there are many people waiting to tell you that it's "non-standard."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Really? "Come with" is common in certain regions -- Chicago, for example -- but I wasn't aware it had migrated to universal use. I use it because I was infected with that use by an old boyfriend, but I don't hear it much from others. I'm sure there are many people waiting to tell you that it's "non-standard."
It's non-standard.;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd always assumed it was borrowed into American English because of German-speaking immigrants... :-? But does Chicago fit in with that idea? I usually hear it (US crime dramas) with a final /θ/ - which adds to the 'non-standardness'. ;-)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know about that part - but I do know that one time I used the "come with" phrasing with someone who then looked a bit startled and said "Are you from Chicago?" He was, and it was his common usage, but he knew that it was not common where we were at that time.

isedehi

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I don't know about that part - but I do know that one time I used the "come with" phrasing with someone who then looked a bit startled and said "Are you from Chicago?" He was, and it was his common usage, but he knew that it was not common where we were at that time.
Let me tell you something you probably already know. Many non-native speakers, especially from my side, immitate what they hear in Hollywood movies. i've seen alot of that expression and i think its cool. Whenever i use it here in Nigeria, it allures people and they kinda think im cool. Offcourse its only used in informal situations.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
I have a friend who uses it all the time. And yes, her background is German. To me it just sounds like an unfinished sentence, which it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.