Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Does the expression "put something in the shadow" exist? If it does, it's another way of saying "overshadow something."

I had never heard it until reading it on the back of a law textbook today. I don't remember the exact sentence, but it read something like, "This textbook puts all the other ones on this subject matter in the shadow." The guy who wrote it had a German name, so I'm thinking he's mother tongue is not English and he translated the German expression "etwas in den Schatten stellen" literally into English.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does the expression "put something in the shadow" exist? If it does, it's another way of saying "overshadow something."

I had never heard it until reading it on the back of a law textbook today. I don't remember the exact sentence, but it read something like, "This textbook puts all the other ones on this subject matter in the shadow." The guy who wrote it had a German name, so I'm thinking he's mother tongue is not English and he translated the German expression "etwas in den Schatten stellen" literally into English.

Thanks.

I think he mixed up "shadow" with "shade". I would say that "This book puts all others in the shade" would be a perfectly acceptable sentence, meaning that the book in question is much superior to all the others.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually the one who mixed up "shadow" with "shade." It said "shade" on the back of the book, not "shadow." Not sure why I wrote "shadow." Anyway, I had never heard the expression "put something in the shade," so thanks for telling me that it's a legitimate one.

Status
Not open for further replies.