Pronunciation diff "Morning" and "Mourning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

I don't know how to classify the pronunciation of "Morning" and "Mourning", when I heard the TV news, both of these words seem to have a same pronunciation, please advise.

W

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I pronounce them the same way.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I pronounce them the same way.
So do I. But the diphthong /ʊǝ/ is in a state of flux. Most dictionaries say that there are 44 English phonemes; but Longmans - in the interactive IPA alphabet distributed with New Cutting Edge, only give 43. They don't include /ʊǝ/.

For example, some people (many - including me) pronounce 'door' with an /ɔ:/ sound; (I don't usually say 'rhymes with', for reasons I've discussed elsewhere, but for me this is a homophone of 'daw' - the bird, more often met in the compound 'jackdaw'. {Hmm, is that a male, a female being, properly, 'jilldaw'... NB this isn't a serious speculation.;-)} Someone who does something is a 'doer' (/du:ǝ), and if he doesn't enjoy it he might have a 'dour' face /dʊǝ/.

But I do distinguish 'pore/paw' from 'poor': /pɔ:/ but /pʊǝ/. Many people don't.

I suspect that speakers of extreme RP might use the same vowel distinction for 'morning/mourning'. But if they do, they're in a tiny (and vanishing) minority.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.