[Vocabulary] "turnaround" in the lyrics means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear all,

I am confused about a word "turnaround" in the song which is "Total eclipse of the heart" by Bonnie Tyler.

The lyrics below:
Turnaround, every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming around
Turnaround, every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears

I enjoy this song and want to know more about this song.
But when I looked up the Chinese lyrics on the web site, I found out most of the Chinese translation about this song translated the word "turnaround" into "走開 go away".
I don't think "turnaround" in this song "total eclipse of the heart" means "go away".
I thought it might be "a complete change from a bad situation to a good one".

Can someone help me that?
It's great that someone have the background of this song.

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,

I am confused about a word "turnaround" in the song which is "Total eclipse of the heart" by Bonnie Tyler.

The lyrics below:
Turnaround, every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming around
Turnaround, every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears

I enjoy this song and want to know more about this song.
But when I looked up the Chinese lyrics on the web site, I found out most of the Chinese translation about this song translated the word "turnaround" into "走開 go away".
I don't think "turnaround" in this song "total eclipse of the heart" means "go away".
I thought it might be "a complete change from a bad situation to a good one".

Can someone help me that?
It's great that someone have the background of this song.

Thank you!

It's not one word, it's two - "turn around" (sometimes "turn round"). It's a phrasal verb, meaning to spin, to turn in a different direction to the one you were originally facing.

If I turn around a bit, I can see the TV better.
Turn that bottle around so I can read the label.

As far as the lyrics of Total Eclipse of the Heart, it might mean go away, it could mean anything! Sometimes words in songs are simply put in as fillers, because they happen to rhyme or because they fit the rhythm.

Status
Not open for further replies.