Before usage as a conjunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

koun

I have a doubt regarding the usage of before connection conjuntcion.I will ask my doubt with an example.

Suppose some things are thoroughly checked and afterwards moved into some location.In this context consider the below sentences.

A:)Before all these things are moved over here itself these things have thoroughly been checked

B:)Before these things were moved over here itself things have thoroughly been checked.

the doubt is regarding the phrase "Before all these things are/were moved"

For me it appears that both the sentences are correct for that reason that in the first sentences you are thinking of the state of the things moved in some place and in the sentences you are thinking of action of moving the things.

Are both the senetnces correct?Please answer me.Iam confused a lot on this.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a doubt regarding the usage of before connection conjuntcion.I will ask my doubt with an example.

Suppose some things are thoroughly checked and afterwards moved into some location.In this context consider the below sentences.

A:)Before all these things are moved over here, [STRIKE]itself[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]these things have[/STRIKE] they must be thoroughly [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] checked

In this example, "before they are" suggests an action which will take place in the future, therefore the checking must be done before the moving. (Before you move them, you must check them.)

B:)Before these things were moved over here, [STRIKE]itself[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]things[/STRIKE] they [STRIKE]have thoroughly been[/STRIKE] were/had been thoroughlychecked.

The action of moving has already happened, therefore the past tense is required. (They were thoroughly checked before they were moved.)

the doubt is regarding the phrase "Before all these things are/were moved"

For me it appears that both the sentences are correct for that reason that in the first sentences you are thinking of the state of the things moved in some place and in the sentences you are thinking of action of moving the things.

Are both the senetnces correct?Please answer me.Iam confused a lot on this.

Notes above.

kuon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Sorry! I didn't get what i was lokking for.I think i didn't give the context of the example clearly.Let me be more clear on this.The conext is: you checked the things and then you moved them to some location.Here both the actions are performed.Basically here you are in the job of checking the things and then move them to some location.And now you are at the location of where you moved the things(basically in a go down or so) and some body above you asked the question "did you check all these things?" Then you replied like "before these are moved over here itself they are thoroughly been checked by our staff'Now coming to my initial question.Does not the statement A work well here?>>>A:)Before all these things are moved over here itself these things have thoroughly been checked My doubt is only on the phrase "Before all these things are moved"

kuon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Sorry! I didn't get what i was lokking for.I think i didn't give the context of the example clearly.Let me be more clear on this.The conext is: you checked the things and then you moved them to some location.Here both the actions are performed.Basically here you are in the job of checking the things and then move them to some location.And now you are at the location of where you moved the things(basically in a go down or so) and some body above you asked the question "did you check all these things?" Then you replied like "before these are moved over here itself they are thoroughly been checked by our staff'Now coming to my initial question.Does not the statement A work well here?>>>A:)Before all these things are moved over here itself these things have thoroughly been checked My doubt is only on the phrase "Before all these things are moved"

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A:)Before all these things are moved over here, [STRIKE]itself these things have[/STRIKE] they must be thoroughly [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] checked

B:)Before these things were moved over here, [STRIKE]itself things[/STRIKE] they [STRIKE]have thoroughly been[/STRIKE] were/had been thoroughly checked.

1.Your sentences have been corrected by emsr2d2 as above.

2. Your use of 'move over here itself' is not correct.
all these things....these things... - when you refer to the same things again, you use 'they'.

3. If you wish to say more about the work sequence, you may add this before the sentence:

The work sequence is such that before the things are moved over here, they would have been thoroughly checked/undergone a thorough inspection.
not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.