Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,889
    #1

    May I use/borrow your telephone?

    1. May I use your telephone?
    2. May I borrow your telephone?
    #1 is supposed to be correct. Is #2 also acceptable?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130
    #2

    Re: May I use/borrow your telephone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sitifan View Post
    1. May I use your telephone?
    2. May I borrow your telephone?
    #1 is supposed to be correct. Is #2 also acceptable?
    Both are correct.
    I prefer No.1. 'Borrow' tends to imply taking away something for a period of time.

    not a teacher

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,805
    #3

    Re: May I use/borrow your telephone?

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    Both are correct.
    I prefer No.1. 'Borrow' tends to imply taking away something for a period of time.

    not a teacher
    I agree. However, #2 would be entirely understood and is used regularly by native English speakers. #1 is the better choice.

    I don't know if it happens in AmE, but in BrE we have been known to use "borrow" for some rather silly things. For example:

    Can I borrow your toilet?

    This simply means "Please can I use your toilet/loo/bathroom etc?" Obviously, we don't actually literally want to borrow the toilet. We're not going to remove it from the bathroom, take it home and then bring it back later!

  2. MASM's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 292
    #4

    Re: May I use/borrow your telephone?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I agree. However, #2 would be entirely understood and is used regularly by native English speakers. #1 is the better choice.

    I don't know if it happens in AmE, but in BrE we have been known to use "borrow" for some rather silly things. For example:

    Can I borrow your toilet?

    This simply means "Please can I use your toilet/loo/bathroom etc?" Obviously, we don't actually literally want to borrow the toilet. We're not going to remove it from the bathroom, take it home and then bring it back later!
    Really? That's very interesting..would you, then, use "Can I borrow your toilet?" more frequently than "Can I use your toilet?"

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,805
    #5

    Re: May I use/borrow your telephone?

    Quote Originally Posted by MASM View Post
    Really? That's very interesting..would you, then, use "Can I borrow your toilet?" more frequently than "Can I use your toilet?"
    No, not more frequently. In fact, there are probably many people who have never said this! However, I have, and I know many of my friends do - not all the time - if we were in a house of someone we don't know very well, for example, we would say "Can I use your toilet?"

  4. MASM's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 292
    #6

    Re: May I use/borrow your telephone?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No, not more frequently. In fact, there are probably many people who have never said this! However, I have, and I know many of my friends do - not all the time - if we were in a house of someone we don't know very well, for example, we would say "Can I use your toilet?"
    I see..I've never heard that before. It's a funny thing to say to a friend . Thank you!

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: May I use/borrow your telephone?

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    Both are correct.
    I prefer No.1. 'Borrow' tends to imply taking away something for a period of time.

    not a teacher
    I agree too... except that borrowing a phone for a long time is quite possible. I would not be at all surprised if my daughter, whose mobile works only in the UK and Europe, said to me 'May I borrow your phone when I go to the States next month? I'll only need it for three weeks.'

    b

Similar Threads

  1. Telephone English for advanced student
    By Airone in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2009, 16:36
  2. The standard way of saying the telephone number
    By sky753 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2008, 03:14
  3. Telephone skills
    By satyam_121@yahoo.com in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2007, 18:44
  4. your home is on the telephone.
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2007, 15:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •