Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 232
    #1

    Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Which one is correct? And why? Thank you!
    1 Being too busy every day will make one forgetful sometimes.
    Being too busy every day will make one forgetable sometimes.

    2 There will be more and more private cars in future.
    There will be more and more personal cars in future.

    3 Parents always miss their children wherever they are.
    Parents always miss their children no matter where they are.

    4 Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience countryside life.
    Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience countryside lives.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #2

    Re: Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry12345 View Post
    Which one is correct? And why? Thank you!
    1 Being too busy every day will make one forgetful sometimes.
    Being too busy every day will make one forgetable sometimes.

    2 There will be more and more private cars in future.
    There will be more and more personal cars in future.

    3 Parents always miss their children wherever they are.
    Parents always miss their children no matter where they are.

    4 Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience countryside life.
    Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience countryside lives.
    (not a teacher)
    To learn something, you must learn by yourself.
    God help those who help themselves.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 232
    #3

    Re: Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Thank you very much!
    Could you please tell me why personal cars is wrong?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 232
    #4

    Re: Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Mr Gillnetter, Thank you very much!

    I am a little confused with 4.

    Is the sentence Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience the countryside life. correct?( I put a the)

    And how about Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience the village life.

    Thank you!

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #5

    Re: Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry12345 View Post
    Mr Gillnetter, Thank you very much!

    I am a little confused with 4.

    Is the sentence Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience the countryside life. correct?( I put a the)

    And how about Many college students volunteer to work in Hope School to exprerience the village life.

    Thank you!
    They are both better without "the".But I would rewrite the first as: "...to experience life in the countryside".

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,849
    #6

    Re: Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    They are both better without "the".But I would rewrite the first as: "...to experience life in the countryside".
    Or "to experience country life" (no definite article). As generalisations, we regularly say "country life", "city life", "town life" to express the day-to-day living experience in different environments.

    I'm moving to Madrid. I want to experience city life.
    You should move somewhere rural so you can experience country life.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #7

    Re: Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry12345 View Post
    Thank you very much!
    Could you please tell me why personal cars is wrong?
    We distinguish public and private transport- private cars contrast with taxis.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 232
    #8

    Re: Which one is correct? Thank you!

    Many thanks for all of you!

Similar Threads

  1. [General] Correct use of 'Program' and 'Programme'
    By jasont in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2010, 10:08
  2. Can you please correct these sentences?
    By twilit1988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2009, 04:52
  3. can you help me
    By student2007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Mar-2009, 10:41
  4. [Idiom] Difficult Test
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2009, 19:07
  5. Correct them plz
    By twilit1988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2008, 14:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •