Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    #1

    As we speak/As we're speaking ?

    Wouldn't it be more logical to say "as we're speaking" instead of "as we speak" ?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 191
    #2

    Re: As we speak/As we're speaking ?

    "as we're speaking" instead of "as we speak" ?

    We speak is present simple tense
    we're speaking is present progressive tense

    so it depends upon the context which tense you want to use.

    * Not a teacher*

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #3

    Exclamation Re: As we speak/As we're speaking ?

    Quote Originally Posted by gauri_agr View Post
    "as we're speaking" instead of "as we speak" ?

    We speak is present simple tense
    we're speaking is present progressive tense

    so it depends upon the context which tense you want to use.

    * Not a teacher*
    as we speak” or ‘even as we speak’ are idioms which mean: just now; at this very moment. So they have specific application; as:

    "I'm sorry, sir," the agent to the late passenger rushing towards the flight, ,"the plane is taking off as we speak."
    Take another example:
    Tom: Waiter, where is my steak? It's taking a long time.
    Waiter: It is being grilled even as we speak, sir.


    ‘We%
    Last edited by sarat_106; 25-Apr-2010 at 14:02.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 191
    #4

    Re: As we speak/As we're speaking ?

    Thanks Sarat. I need to learn at Phrases and Idioms.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    #5

    Re: As we speak/As we're speaking ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    as we speak” or ‘even as we speak’ are idioms which mean: just now; at this very moment. So they have specific application; as:

    "I'm sorry, sir," the agent to the late passenger rushing towards the flight, ,"the plane is taking off as we speak."
    Take another example:
    Tom: Waiter, where is my steak? It's taking a long time.
    Waiter: It is being grilled even as we speak, sir.


    ‘We%
    I know that "as we speak" is an idiom, but my question remains the same : wouldn't it be more logical to use the present continuous tense in this idiom ? (I also know language isn't always logical.)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #6

    Exclamation Re: As we speak/As we're speaking ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    I know that "as we speak" is an idiom, but my question remains the same : wouldn't it be more logical to use the present continuous tense in this idiom ? (I also know language isn't always logical.)
    I think you can use but it will be incorrect to justify this as more logical or better than an idiomatic use.. ‘We are speaking’ is a sentence in present continuous tense and it means that the speaking action is going on at the very moment. So using ‘as’ as a relative pronoun to introduce this sentence can also convey more or less the same meaning.
    Tom: Waiter, where is my steak? It's taking a long time.
    Waiter: It is being grilled, Sir, as we are speaking.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: As we speak/As we're speaking ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    I know that "as we speak" is an idiom, but my question remains the same : wouldn't it be more logical to use the present continuous tense in this idiom ? (I also know language isn't always logical.)
    It would be more consistent with how English is generally used, if that's the gist of what you're asking. But idioms often use unusual forms.
    To answer your specific question: no, it would be neither more nor less logical.

Similar Threads

  1. Discussion about accent when speaking English
    By Mr.Vu in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2009, 16:58
  2. Eng. Speaking problem
    By monaacs in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2008, 06:53
  3. how to teach speaking
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Apr-2007, 08:49
  4. Technically / Strictly speaking
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2007, 08:20

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •