English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all

I've just started teaching a high advanced student at a government office in Madrid. We've had one lesson which, as with all first lessons, consisted of lots of general conversation so I could assess his level and standard. His grammar is almost perfect, his vocabulary extensive and his pronunciation is very good (in the entire hour, I only had to correct him 3 times!)

I asked him if he had anything specific he wanted to work on and he said simply conversation and fluency. However, he also said that he didn't think it was acceptable to simply "chat" for an hour a week. He told me that a previous teacher used to bring TV/movie clips on her iPod, they would watch one or two and discuss them. Unfortunately, I don't have (nor can I afford) an iPod and I can't take my laptop to classes.

He only has two hobbies but didn't want to watch programmes about them, and he told me he doesn't particularly like comedy (in any language!)

So, I'm wondering if any of you have found particularly good YouTube clips, for example, that are interesting, advanced enough for that level, and which will spark decent conversation.

Thanks in advance.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Hi all

I've just started teaching a high advanced student at a government office in Madrid. We've had one lesson which, as with all first lessons, consisted of lots of general conversation so I could assess his level and standard. His grammar is almost perfect, his vocabulary extensive and his pronunciation is very good (in the entire hour, I only had to correct him 3 times!)

I asked him if he had anything specific he wanted to work on and he said simply conversation and fluency. However, he also said that he didn't think it was acceptable to simply "chat" for an hour a week. He told me that a previous teacher used to bring TV/movie clips on her iPod, they would watch one or two and discuss them. Unfortunately, I don't have (nor can I afford) an iPod and I can't take my laptop to classes.

He only has two hobbies but didn't want to watch programmes about them, and he told me he doesn't particularly like comedy (in any language!)

So, I'm wondering if any of you have found particularly good YouTube clips, for example, that are interesting, advanced enough for that level, and which will spark decent conversation.

Thanks in advance.

What a difficult student!

What are his two hobbies? Although he doesn't watch programs maybe you can bring something related to.
I suggest that you focus on his professional career, try to bring some lectures related to his career, given by prominent people in the field. You may analyze these lectures together. Also some interviews of important personalities or politicians. Another possibility is to simulate some situations for him to act, like a professional interview or ask him to give you a lecture on an specific professional theme of his interest.

However, since he has such a high level of proficiency maybe it would be better to discuss with him some aspects of linguistics. If he agrees you can discuss some advanced texts aimed to native speakers on linguistics and similar subjects.
(Try to discover which topics are covered in an B.A. English course)

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
My "short video suggestions" are interviews of personalities he may be interested in.
From those evening talk shows like Late Night and similar ones.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
What about history channel or other types of documentaries?
The FIFA World Cup?
Maybe the treatment of Spanish politics outside with the aid of online UK or American newspapers?
Short films are availabe on Youtube, like Pixar's.

There must be something that he's interested in.

I've found this video on youtube: YouTube - strangers- short film. Maybe it helps..controversial topics usually work

Last edited:

ICAL_Pete

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Switzerland
I think you need to spend time finding out from this student the kind of material and subjects which interest him. The Michael Caine interview may be superb (I'm a fan as well) but if your student isn't interested then it's pointless.

Instead, why not spend a lesson having a kind of "interview" with him to find his interests. Then you can start to build decent lessons which will stimulate him.

Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't just show a video and discuss it with him. Instead, make the lesson more interactive so you prepare the subject matter beforehand, watch the video in a constructive manner, and discuss both during and after. (See here for more.)

carlorealosa

Member Type
Student or Learner
hello sir, this is Carlo from Philippines and have been reading a booklet that shows basic grammar errors. here in the Philippines you should speak well in English to get a job. Are these messages correct, I'm always confused whenever I saw different forms of sentences. please give me the most effective practices to improve my communication skills. I really want to learn badly and when i speak in English its on the tip of tongue but I cant speak. I mean its on my mind but I cannot speak continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.