Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the sentence "It takes up lots of his time watching TV" grammatically correct?It sounds all right to me because I can interprete it as "watching TV takes up lots of his time", but I'm not sure about it. Some people argue it should be expressed in this way: "It takes up lots of his time to watching TV." Could you explain it for me? Thank you very much.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't like either of the 'it takes' versions, and there is no case at all to argue for using 'to watching', which is simply an error to me. The first is something that might occur in conversation, or you could punctuate it with a dash or colon, but it's a pretty ugly sentence. 'Watching TV takes up a lot of his time' is the version I would use.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't like either of the 'it takes' versions, and there is no case at all to argue for using 'to watching', which is simply an error to me. The first is something that might occur in conversation, or you could punctuate it with a dash or colon, but it's a pretty ugly sentence. 'Watching TV takes up a lot of his time' is the version I would use.

Sorry I've made a mistake.It takes up lots of his time "to watch TV" instead of to watching TV.Then is this sentence acceptable? Looking forward to your help. Thank you again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry I've made a mistake.It takes up lots of his time "to watch TV" instead of to watching TV.Then is this sentence acceptable? Looking forward to your help. Thank you again.

This sentence can't be constructed using "to watch" at all. As the previous poster said, "Watching TV takes up a lot of his time" is a good version. You can't really combine the action of watching TV in the same sentence as "It takes up a lot of his time". You could say:

He watches too much TV. It takes up a lot of his time.

However, of course, that involves two sentences, not one!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
How about: "A lot of his time is taken up watching TV".

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
OK, I got it. Thank emsr2d2 and bhaisahab.

Status
Not open for further replies.