Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I watched a Chinese English news channel the other day. A reporter was doing a live coverage on an event. He would be back the next day to do the report again. So, at the end of the coverage, the anchorman said, ' Thank you. We look forward to hear from you again tomorrow.'

I know he made a mistake not putting an -ing after 'hear' there. But is the phrase 'hearing from' good English in that case? Or, it should be 'look forward to hearing you again' instead ?

My previous teacher said 'hear from a person' means 'receive a letter from a person'.

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I watched a Chinese English news channel the other day. A reporter was doing a live coverage on an event. He would be back the next day to do the report again. So, at the end of the coverage, the anchorman said, ' Thank you. We look forward to hear from you again tomorrow.'

I know he made a mistake not putting an -ing after 'hear' there. But is the phrase 'hearing from' good English in that case? Or, it should be 'look forward to hearing you again' instead ?

My previous teacher said 'hear from a person' means 'receive a letter from a person'.

Thank you.
"hearing from you" is correct.
"I look forward to seeing you" is colloquial, but "hearing you" is not.
Receiving a letter is only one way of hearing from a person.

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Thank you.

Hope this helps.
Hear from :
1) receive news from (one form of news can be a letter)
2) hear about something from that person's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.