• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Can I say like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Sorry - no. 'As closer' is always wrong. You can't use a comparative adjective after 'as' when 'as' is used to make a comparison ('as...as'). You can in cases like this: 'I've always thought of him as closer than a friend'. In that case, 'closer than a brother' is what you think of him as, so you can use whatever takes your fancy - however surreal! 'I have always thought of him as a teapot', for example.

But if something is 'as close as something', the word is just 'close'. In fact, I don't think the adjective really fits here; I'd say 'Our thinking should match a native speaker's thinking as closely as possible' (if that's what I thought...

But I prefer your second version.

b
    Thanks again BobK.

If I write the sentences now substituting 'closer' by 'close' like these:

We should think in English as close as a native speaker does as possible.
    We should think in English as close to the way a native speaker does as possible.
    We should think in English as close to a native speaker's thinking as possible.

Are they grammatically correct?
    (I know they may be weird, and I agree your suggestion is better, but I just would like to know whether they are correct.)

Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Not strictly grammatical, because you're using an adj. phrase ('as close as...') to do the job of an adverb; but people would understand them.

b

Smile Re: Can I say like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Sorry - no. 'As closer' is always wrong. You can't use a comparative adjective after 'as' when 'as' is used to make a comparison ('as...as'). You can in cases like this: 'I've always thought of him as closer than a friend'. In that case, 'closer than a brother' is what you think of him as, so you can use whatever takes your fancy - however surreal! 'I have always thought of him as a teapot', for example.

But if something is 'as close as something', the word is just 'close'. In fact, I don't think the adjective really fits here; I'd say 'Our thinking should match a native speaker's thinking as closely as possible' (if that's what I thought...

But I prefer your second version.

b
    Excuse me.
    B, what's the second version you prefered?

Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by iZicci View Post
    Excuse me.
    B, what's the second version you prefered?
    'We should think in English just like a native speaker does.'

There used to be (in my schooldays) a popular prescription about using 'as' for a comparison of verbs and 'like' for a comparison of nouns - which would make it '...just as a...'. But I don't buy it, and nobody much uses it.

b

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2