Help. CELTA Interview: Micro Teaching slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatherbella

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,
I have applied to take part in a CELTA course and my interview is tomorrow. I already have one year of teaching experience in Germany, but no formal qualification in the area. I am really excited about this course and really want to do well at my interview.

The only problem is that I am very nervous about the Mirco teaching. I have been told to "come prepared to do a 5-minute micro teaching slot in which you will teach your co interviewees anything from origami to judo to using a camera ie anything except language".

I am not nervous about the actual teaching, but rather regarding the subject of what to teach. I am thinking about teaching them about the Erasmus Programme and the European Lifelong Learning initiative. Basically just giving them an overview of the programmes, how they work, how they have been incorporated into university life and why I feel such programmes are important.

They problem is that I am not sure that is what they are looking for. I don't know if it is 'practical' enough. I also don't want to just stand up and 'preach' to the other participants for 5 mins. Obviously I have some plans of how to get interaction, but I am just not 100% sure that I am on the right lines with my choice of topic.

Please, anyone who has done this kind of interview, can you tell me what kind of topic you did and what the others did. Or anyone who might just have a better idea for a topic, please feel free to give me any hints.

As I said, I just really want to do well tomorrow.
Thanks for your time.

Glorianueva

Member Type
Student or Learner
I strongly reccomend that you teach something much simpler. Like how to iron a blouse or how to draw a flower. Pick something that you can talk about, then demonstrate, and then even have time for them to 'practice'. It is best if you teach something where you can use a prop and refer to it. This can be done in 5 minutes. Good luck!

heatherbella

Member Type
English Teacher
I strongly reccomend that you teach something much simpler. Like how to iron a blouse or how to draw a flower. Pick something that you can talk about, then demonstrate, and then even have time for them to 'practice'. It is best if you teach something where you can use a prop and refer to it. This can be done in 5 minutes. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the advice. I called the school and they agreed with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.